1000 Skatepark Challenge

Just popping the final part here for those who are interested. We went up near Derby and Notts way for the last part as well as some parks from Virginia USA when I was on holiday. Best park of the year was unsurprisingly in Charlottesville VA. (Thumbnail) On the last day, December 28th, we were skating awful council parks in the wet.

Today I just skated my local park for an hour. It was bliss.

3 Likes

For the 3 people who liked and (presumably watched) my last video, Iā€™ve been chugging away over the last year as I now try to skate 1000 skateparks in my lifetime.

Just uploaded part 5 on YouTube. Iā€™ve since moved to Washington DC so lots of good parks coming up in part 6 later this year.

Iā€™m currently on 194 parks skated, photos and reviews of which are on my Instagram @cementurians

7 Likes

Still flogging this dead horse. Been living in DC for the past 6 months so the quality of parks have improved. Shame I havenā€™tā€¦

5 Likes

Traded in the east coast for the west coast. Some ridiculous parks out here. Also did a week in Vermont which was interesting to see they too have some shocking parks like the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOMkaWxMtNk

And most recently I drove from LA to Vancouver and hit up Burnside, the frying pan skatepark and a bunch of others. (Broke my wrist too)

https://youtu.be/vXrjK7RAkww

6 Likes

How many are you on now?

Edit. Duh i need to wath the videos.

Iā€™ve actually done a few more than the video as Ive already started on the next episode.

Currently on 293. Should be able to do another 15-20 this yea

5 Likes

I found one of your old google comments for a ramp in Reasrby whilst checking a site out for work.

2 Likes

Rearsby was my local park growing up. My first ever experience of a bad skatepark. I leave Google reviews for all the parks I skate, might have missed a few over the years though.

2 Likes

Sick! Reedsport is proper stupid! We renamed Port Orford to Port Awful.

These videos have been brilliant to watch!

1 Like

Glad you enjoy them! Will have one more coming in the week after Christmas after I do a bunch more LA parks

1 Like

Bonus episode: going to skateparks in some dodgy areas of South Central LA. Compton skatepark was closed, sadly.

3 Likes

Ran into Paul Shier at El Sereno skatepark in this episode. Never met him before, did the usual back and forth with another expat in the USA about how long and why weā€™re out there and how its nice to hear a normal accent for once.

Its getting pretty boring/tedious going to all these generic skateparks just for the numbers but iā€™m too deep in it now to quit. Will probably cool it for a couple months and get back on it in the Spring now.

11 Likes

Doing Chinā€™s work, Phil! Kudos for your persistence. Why are you living in the states out of interest? Apols if youā€™ve answered this before.

1 Like

My wife is American, we met in London a few years ago but she has always been based in the US. I came here on a fiancƩ visa in July 2021 and married a month later.

We are planning on staying out here for a other year or two but eventually settling back in the UK. Free healthcare, no guns etc.

7 Likes

Worked in America a few times this year, the idea of America is always better than the reality for me.

America good but England gooder.

1 Like

Love this mission and the videos! I know you must be bored of the typical parks by 300+ but from where Iā€™m sat it looks like a wet dream to have so many so close together in warm weather and no one there

2 Likes

For sure, I think Iā€™m enjoying it as much as I am because I know it isnā€™t permanent. My wifeā€™s family is based in LA and she has family on the east coast so we are set for life with free places to stay when we visit

1 Like

Thing is Iā€™m not very good at Skateboarding, if I was half decent I could make the edits a bit more interesting. Need to make some more mates and film them instead ha

Ran into Franky Villiani yesterday at his local park. Didnā€™t want to bother him so I sniped a spy clip of him doing a back tail into a bank. Will put it in the next video.

2 Likes

Up to 345 parks now. Spent a week in Eugene, Oregon and managed to skate a bunch of parks in Portland and Bend. Lots more parks from LA too. Seems to be a never ending stream of parks here, although I am having to drive further and further out now to reach new ones.

Luckily, 2 brand new parks are being built within a 5 minute drive from my house. America eh.

8 Likes