Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Fradley?

nah
There is a skatepark in Fradley though but it’s pretty shit, not been there in years because a mate got angry with a 10 year old cheeky cunt and nearly pushed his eyes into his head. Not good.

1 Like

Haha ace… I’ve skated that park a few times as my mate used to live around the corner. Not been there in a looooooong time.

Telly Savalas (Kojak) did 3 similar VOs on Birmingham, Portsmouth and Aberdeen around 1980.

4 Likes

I’ve only seen the Portsmouth)one. Look forward to giving this a watch later.

Incidentally, my wayward, somewhat playboy uncle used to hang out with Telly Savalas - he knew how to have a good time by all accounts.

There’s quite a few new town films that are worth a watch, featured music / fashion / architecture all good - I’ll look out some links

That Birmingham one is great, a bit WTF with Savalas in there ha - we need to hear your uncle’s stories!

2 Likes

Yellow Banks in Gateshead, 1980s - located between two high rises and still there

Photos by Ian Piercy

13 Likes

The weirdest of the new town films is probably this 1977 feature film, paid for by the Cumbernauld Development Corporation

Fenella Fielding plays a kind of Bond-villain who trys to hi-jack Cumbernauld by releasing a virus into the town…

4 Likes

I’ve just watched that in it’s entirety. It was absolutely cracked. Wtf? :joy:

1 Like

:grinning: - there’s a lot to take in, kinda psychedelic brutalist crime drama I guess?

Apparently apart from the main characters the rest of the cast were local residents & councillors (who funded it)

Making these sound like they are just the thing i’m looking for in a series to get my teeth in to.

I was in Cumbernauld today, for a funeral. About the most fun you can have there.

Rimbaud was from Cumbernauld.

Here’s the original promo. Doesn’t look like that now, and I think Abronhill has the cheapest houses in Scotland:

1 Like

This one’s got skateboarding in it.

1 Like

This is from the '90s! That’s quite late in the day to be promoting Livingston!

1 Like

Yeah, it was well and truly over by then.

1 Like

This one’s a bit of a benchmark one for me, but obviously I’d be biased. Skip to 18:08 for the ‘technology’ part, with some truly excellent 1971 space-aged music. The intro and outro music of the actual video is really good too.

2 Likes

Glasgow Motorway Archive has some good stuff on

https://www.youtube.com/user/stuart18583

1 Like

This spot is still there and still gets skated! So dope. Ian is a friend of mine too, proper good dude.

The nuclear church in Sheff is cool.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/modernmooch.com/2018/08/19/trinity-united-reform-church-sheffield/amp/

Bit of local history to it architecturally.

There’s 2 street 1/4s at the car park entrance, skated by baines at 13secs in this

4 Likes

So good!

Stephen’s Modern Mooch blog is a good ref for possible spots all over the North

Likewise Sacred Suburbs, some blocks & stairs on the first post (though now demolished)

3 Likes