Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Thought I’d watch a video re how they worked as I’d always wondered.
First one I pick re a bunch of towers in Minnessota - eyes peeled for 55 seconds in

2 Likes

Recognised those ones straight away. On a trip in Scotland a couple of years ago I made us take a detour just so I could get photos of them, my wife was stoked!

This is a cool one in Castle Coombe, I’ve seen a lot that look similar, so was this a design that was licensed out for various water towers?

4 Likes

Rival Town Refutes Badminton-Invention Claims With Own Water Tower

2 Likes

Cumbernauld again.

6 Likes

so good, that.

Have you been to St Peter’s Seminary in Cardross? Worth a look if not

4 Likes

It hasn’t looked like that for years; it’s basically a graffiti theme park now. Never been. Always fancied it, but less lately since I expect there’ll be queues of ‘urban explorers’, Instagram photographers and music video directors waiting to get in before me.

3 Likes

Ha yeah I can imagine the ‘gritty fashion shoots’ - I last went about 5 years ago & it was going that way then.

Loos like ownership changed last year but not sure what’ll happen to it.

That is fascinating. Had to google what a seminary was.

God knows what went on there lol.

3 Likes

I read somewhere that the cost of turning it into literally anything useable would be ridiculous money, hence why it’s just sat for so long

Looks like parts of the Barbican. Shame that it’s been allowed to fall into ruins.

3 Likes

Yeah, we had a similar sort of thing here with an old cinema/music venue which was purchased by a church ministry years ago who sat on it forever.
The Beatles, John Coltrane, Little Richard, etc have all played there in the past.

Years down the line, they tried to change its usage but were denied by the local council. Instead of selling it on, they just did nothing with it and kept reapplying.

Bit of a different era to the stuff I am interested in, but it was good when the council finally did a compulsory purchase order and got it back a few years ago.

It opened as a bar a few years ago, using only the foyer area which was done up to a basic level to help raise funds whilst they secured a larger funding stream, too.
They closed the bar down once they secured the larger funding of £17m right before Covid hit and the works are expected to take 3 years before it will be reopened.

It think it would be good to have a solid music venue in Walthamstow. It’s at the opposite end of the Victoria line to Brixton (and its only about 30 mins between the two) where the Brixton Academy is, and there is fuck all else around here until you get to Islington or Camden in terms of music venues of that size.

6 Likes

Stockport Plaza is a good example of refurbishing an old theatre / cinema - maybe easier than the one above as it’s a more recent build.

Last time I went they had volunteer staff made of people who worked there when much younger, all in their usher uniforms, was pretty cool.

4 Likes

Yeah I think I went in there when it first reopened. Really cool building inside but never knew what the auditorium was like

1 Like

That bank to wall looks loads of fun. With that tiny bank on the other side I could see a board slide transfer going down :thinking: (high side to low side).

This was a sick spot in Brum before they got rid of it. Aston Uni banks.

The brickwork was rough, we used to skate it more like a bank to curb, but I remember being pretty blown away seeing the Ideal / Dudes lot push like fuck and get proper air over the hip. Happy days.

They replaced it with a carpark which actually had sick curbs, we were skating it once and the security guard was clearly so pissed off it was still getting skated he made a grab for me, I kind of circled round him a bit which pissed him off even more, we skated off but this guy was still trying to grab me, being young and stupid I decided to ollie a massive set of steps I hadn’t tried before, landed it with the tail smacking on the bottom step but made it. Looked back and he was at the top kind of waving his fist at me, cartoon style

11 Likes

Yeah deffo Eastwood - I used to skate there a fair bit years ago when I lived in Nottm.
Alan Rushbrooke had a Unabomber ad shot there

alanrushbrooke01

2 Likes

Looks a Butlins holiday centre.

Are these still here or long gone?

Couldn’t say - been 20 years since I last went there. Street view Eastwood library and see!