Covid

I heard the details of that Clapton rant so long ago I can’t remember when it was - had him down as a total Michael Fabricant for decades.

3 Likes

Betty Ford is on line one… wants a word.

2 Likes

What!? I’m much better!

1 Like

Figured that outburst was common knowledge, and thought I’d mentioned it in one of my posts, but yeah, that speech was what inspired the formation of Rock Against Racism.

Edit: ABP by @scrubrampwoody

2 Likes

3 Likes

Someone said here before, can you separate the art from the artist? I feel reservations about cancel culture but then if you’re some cunt maybe you shouldn’t be given a platform to preach hatred

Gary Glitter - Cancelled
Michael Jackson - Cancelled
Morrisey - Cancelled
The Smiths - Played out anyway.
Stone Roses - always been shit but cancelled anyway.

2020 lyrics to Thou Shalt Always Kill

1 Like

I can still separate art from artist when it comes to music, usually, but skaters? it’s harder, although I never really understood the J Jesse love anyway, he’s the biggest one I’ve “cancelled”

1 Like

Fucking scooby doo bloke?
Now that is a top grade twat that I have done a personal cancelling.

Morrissey, The Smiths and The Stone Roses are definitely not ‘cancelled’, and that’s probably because plenty of people who listened to them in the first place are absolutely fine with those opinions.

Disagree, he was definitely an oddball but I never bought the accusations of sexual assault, the original legal case involving those interviewed brought up many inconsistencies and if anything made me wonder at the parents involved.

No and to be fair I’m not hugely up to speed on it all, not really forward to looking that all up, what I struggle to see past are some very negligent parents and also some people who testified against him who later claimed they’d lied.

He definitely had an unhealthy interest in young boys. Never hung out with girls for ‘someone that loved all children’… funny that.

It’s also such a change in stance for him, think of these lyrics:

But where the President
Is never black, female or gay
And until that day
You’ve got nothing to say to me

That was 2004.

Agree, racial stuff is thought out opinion, things like violence can be more sympathetically approached. James Brown was a cunt and many people that beat their lovers, do messed up things under the influence etc while are not in any way to be excused but many cases can be influenced by raw emotions and troubles which is naturally human and are not always intended.
Again, not excusing any cunty shit but I can get my head around how an artist is human and prone to ill judgment fuelled by emotion.

1 Like

James Brown was a despicable cunt and thoroughly deserves to be consigned to the shit list right next to Clapton, Morrissey etc. Fuck him and fuck his music.

I’m not sure I could take that approach, I’d need to have more details on each really. Having racist opinions and voicing them is still not as bad as beating someone weaker than you up. If that person had been emotionally bullied by the other for years then maybe I could be sympathetic but I could also take that approach with a racist person as well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not saying I can be ok with what they did and yeah it depends case on case but I think it’s easier to understand events fuelled by emotion. There are plenty of violent people with premeditated ideas of why they are doing what they are doing and that’s when we can judge clearer and they can get fucked. Racism is a completely chosen notion though and why Clapton has no real excuse, he is a cunt through and through. I can still watch J wray SHS though.

1 Like

Yeah, I remembered it all coming out and never really sought to listen to him since.