The Cricket Thread

That was amazing. Super tense. What an ending. Stokes trying to get the umpires not to count the 4 that came off his bat off the throw in from the outfield. Mental.

Copy and paste from the guardian:

Mike Hesson, New Zealand’s head coach from 2012 to 2018, has written for the Sydney Morning Herald about the World Cup final. Here’s how he starts:

Kane Williamson and Eoin Morgan should have jointly lifted the CricketWorld Cup. Certainly neither England nor New Zealand deserved to lose.

Using a Super Over to decide it was farcical and the International Cricket Council needs to give itself an uppercut for even entertaining it as a tiebreaker. To just copy and paste the playing conditions from Twenty20 and use the highest number of boundaries to determine who wins in the event of a tied Super Over is not at all necessary. This is a 50-over World Cup.

I didn’t agree with the concept of the Super Over in the first place. The whole idea of a Super Over is in a situation when you need a side to progress, like in a semi-final. That’s when the necessity of finding a winner makes sense. When you’re playing a final of a World Cup after seven weeks’ hard toil, to decide it by some obscure means that is made for T20 cricket is ridiculous.

I agree with him

I disagree, you need one winner for a final, the ‘whole idea’ of a Super Over is that you have one winner, whether it is for them to progress through a tournament or win something is irrelevant. Hitting boundaries is more entertaining and harder to do so I think it’s a fair way to break them down, it’s not how you’d want to win ideally but there you go.

However some are now saying that six should’ve been 5 :man_shrugging:

they should have set up a single stump and made the top order batsmen bowl at it. Most hits in 2 overs wins.

No one is moaning about the ridiculously inconsistent umpiring of wides when it came to bouncers though.

Those added up to way more than the stokes incident.

It more than evened out.

1 Like

A cricket related not-stoked.

This happened in the game my uncle was playing in on Saturday.

The boy who hit the shot is a mini Jos Buttler style basher. He hits tons of boundaries.

My uncle was already out and playing in the nets with his his kids and stopped so that they could all watch him play because he is impressive and then that happened. It was horrific apparently as you can imagine. Straight drive to the head.

On a slightly less serious note… Its Narberth not Narbeth. An absolute shocker by the BBC there.

Pasting this here so I know where to find it in the future:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07gxndd

42-6 before a quarter past twelve.

Lol.

1 Like

43/7 what the fuck is going on.

Oh dear.

Deary me.

Dear oh dear.

They’re probably all hungover.

1 Like

Aus to win the series 5-0 is 33/1.

Anyone have a reliable long range weather forecast? :smile:

Just put a fiver on both Australia 5-0 and 4-0. /reactionary]

1 Like

So they bat first then.

35/3

Lets go!

1 Like

Warner out for two, so so good.

Fucking them up.

Smith still there though. He’s fucking Teflon.

I’m reserving all judgement until England have batted. :smiley:

1 Like