Football Thread

I would! The Scots were good.

1 Like

Southgate should do something drastically different next game to help figure out where to go for the knockout stage as this ainā€™t working

1 Like

Kane isnā€™t doing himself any favours wanting high priced summer transfer.

1 Like

Missed the whole game as I was at a Physio appointment that went over.

That bad huh?

They stunk the place out.

1 Like

Last World Cup aside, England often look tired when a summer tournament comes around. After the pandemic and back to back seasons, it just seems that tiredness is even greater than ever. Play Bellingham, Trippier, Sancho and anyone else who hasnā€™t been subjected to the gruelling demands of an English season.

2 Likes

We look shit, no Bellingham mistake, Rashford isnā€™t on it, would have taken Ings, Kane playing deep ball like heā€™s fishing it out for Spurs wtf is going on.

Foden coming off was mad, get Saka in there on the left, anyone that actually wants to fucking run at players. 2nd half was dead as fuck.

We play a good first 10mins and get fuck all done though! Itā€™s very disappointing - we made Grant Hanley look like I decent CB ffs.

Fully agree.

Hold up a second, from a neutralā€™s POV*, Scotland played very fucking well to contain that much, albeit misfiring and underperforming, talent and hold England to a 0-0 draw, and it was an entertaining one from what I watched. I think a draw was definitely a fair result for both teams, but going into it, I was expecting England to win 2 or 3-0.

The English team seemed to be playing just ok, while Scotland were fired up for it far, far more, obviously knowing another loss would put them out altogether and hoping to avoid another 4-1 repeat of 1996. One thing which I thought was interesting was how much play went through Robertson and how left-sided a team they are, probably on account of Tierney at left back and Robertson at left mid.

It definitely wasnā€™t the strongest England team - you could see the fansā€™ excited reactions to shots of Grealish warming up, so I donā€™t get why he wouldnā€™t be starting in place of Mount or Kane and put Sterling in Kaneā€™s position. Englandā€™s strength in depth is ridiculous, particularly with attackers (I guess similar to 2010ā€™s midfield of Lampard, Scholes, Gerrard and Iā€™ve forgotten who, Beckham?) yet they need to get it together over the next 2 games to make sure they have the quality connection as a team to get to the semis, maybe even win this.

*Nah fuck it, what am I saying, of course I wanted Scotland to win, ha.

6 Likes

I disagree on your tiredness point. Bellingham and Sancho were regulars at Dortmund, who under Klopp, were masters of gegenpressing, and this how they still play. And, like LFC, left it late to qualify for the CL next season, along with winning the Pokal Cup, their version of the FA Cup. Trippier played every single minute of Atleticoā€™s title winning season just past, so yeah, heā€™d be tired too if that were the case.

He missed 10 games. And youā€™ve seen the lack of intensity in some La Liga games - there arenā€™t as many which are as truly competitive as in the PL - also Spain only has one domestic cup competition. Or have I got that wrong?

Anyway, my bigger point is we need to play with a higher tempo somehow and create chances. But that was obvious.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it coming home then?

2 Likes

td;lr : Scotland at their very best vs England at their very worst, heheā€¦

1 Like

https://twitter.com/footyrustling/status/1406235972271022082?s=21

2 Likes

Oof, if France donā€™t turn this around in the second half youā€™d have to say the favourites are having a worse Euros than England, they havenā€™t even scored in a game yet.

2 Likes

Hungary, wow!

By a German own goal. One - Nil.

Iā€™m sure weā€™ll see a different France in the second half.

1 Like

Giroud time surely.

1 Like

There we go!

Griez right place right time, seen that before.