In the news thread

Scary isn’t it. I wonder when the economy will collapse when people can’t afford to pay bills.

Looking forward to going on a payment plan and paying £5 a month till the end of time :rofl:

They’re no doubt waiting to announce help with energy bills at some strategic moment right before calling a general election which they will win because this stupid fucking country gets the government it probably deserves. Eurgh.

5 Likes

I like to try to stay positive, but I’m really not looking forward to (a lot of) the future at the mo.

2 Likes

Which will be taxpayers money subbing the private profit as usual rather than actually doing anything to curb the companies

3 Likes

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, thats how. He put the lowest of the low in his cabinet… the only ones that would be his ‘yes’ people. Not because they could do the job. They were/are the bottom of the barrel even for the Tories. He lost some of them along the way, so had to keep filling their positions with even worse fuck wits… the voting cult of Pfeffel also follow his disciples just as blindly and here we are.

Slowly more of their public are starting to wake up to them, but it all seems a bit too late and not enough.

9 Likes

Whilst she’s off trying to start a war with France to appease her UKIP supporters, this is happening. This country is (almost literally) in the shit.

1 Like

I guess it goes further back than that. It’s when the Tories morphed into UKIP to stop a bit of infighting 10 years ago. That was the disease and de Pfeffel ultimately was the symptom.

I’m beyond fed up of moral free, power hungry numpties being in charge of everything. It’s fucking depressing.

6 Likes
2 Likes

Also

Sorry mikemo fans

1 Like
4 Likes

Also…

Didn’t know he was coming to Suffolk to deliver all this good news today.

Suffolk is a funny place. In the last year I’ve heard arguments that nuclear power is awful and Sizewell C shouldn’t go ahead. However they’re the same people who don’t want fields of solar panels because they’re apparently noisy and an eyesore. They also don’t want wind turbines for the same reason. Offshore wind is also an eyesore but with the added problem of killing fish

You really can’t win with some people

2 Likes

Tidal power anyone :man_shrugging: The UK has nearly 8000 miles of coastline and the moon, as far as I know, continues to orbit the Earth. Seems like that might be a viable source of energy….hmmm.

2 Likes

Probably an eyesore, damages fish, ruins coastline or something like that. Obviously people would be happy with tidal power if it wasn’t on their specific bit of coastline

You also get ridiculous comments like “if all the people live in London, why don’t they build the nuclear reactor there”

I’m surprised these people are happy that farming is a thing since it ruins the countryside so much

3 Likes

Off topic interjection

2 Likes

Yeah, I know :joy:

4 Likes

Doesn’t nuclear have the same problem? The amount of concrete needed to make one plant means that it takes decades to have a net negative impact on emissions

3 Likes

All of these sources of energy have a downside. I just chucked tidal power in to the mix simply because it’s often overlooked. It’s more way efficient and reliable than wind power, for example, but has a much greater environmental impact. It’s not an either /or situation though. We could try not sticking all our eggs in one basket and implement a combination of energy producing methods. The impact of production, installation and disposal of redundant solar panels and wind turbines has been well documented but doesn’t wholly detract from their usefulness in some situations. Nuclear power is obviously not without its downside either. Until we come up with fusion reactors that actually produce results that last longer than milliseconds, or wherever we are with it at present , then I agree with the ‘leading ecologist’ that nuclear is currently one of the better ways to meet the planet’s growing demand for energy.

Also, has anyone else pointed out that the Forecast skateboard company logo looks a lot like the nuclear power, no thanks campaign logo?

3 Likes

Is it just me or is it seriously the most fucked thing ever and the UK is just sleepwalking into an enormous fuck up of epic proportion

14 Likes

I know everyone goes on about energy company profits and I agree that it’s scandalous but pragmatically speaking suppose they made zero profits how much cheaper would energy bills be? I think the only answer available in the short term is that the government has to underwrite the increased energy costs. Fucked as we are we’re still a rich country and they absolutely could do that, just the same as the country would be able to afford whatever was needed if we were in a direct war against Russia rather than this proxy one.