Instagram Blowouts

Prod & Zigram synchronised switch tres precision
88K Likes, 837 Comments - Shane Oneill (@shanejoneill) on Instagram: "Switch 360 flips @prod 🤝
New olympic event ? 👯‍♂️🤣"

pls excuse link fail, dropped a stitch etc

It’s touched on in the comments under this post, but looking at Wig’s pics from Münster (or thinking about something like Slam City Jam), the street course set-ups back then really were mad. Driveways and pyramids were always so steep and gnarly with huge gaps to clear. That box on the driveway is massive!

It’s interesting too that this emerged after a period of relatively low-impact, tech street skating, rather than, say, something more like how parks/street courses are today.

8 Likes

Those streets course set-ups were mad indeed, especially in Münster and Vancouver. Some of the vert guys often skated the “street” comp back then, as those set-ups were sometimes as gnarly as vert, in a way, I suppose. You no longer see that these days, street skating and vert skating are two different worlds.

A great thing about the Grand Prix was that the course set-up would be a public skatepark for a week after the contest, so you could skate the obstacles you saw Penny, Koston, Carroll, Rattray, Vallely and everybody ripping on, and know how gnarly everything they did really was.
The 2002 set-up was great too, it included replicas of famous spots like Venice Beach, Hubba Hideout, the ledge with the big drop at MACBA and some others. Koston got to design an obstacle one year (2000) too, and it was well skatable.

If I had Doc Brown’s DeLorean, I’d travel to Radlands in 96, when Penny did all that mental stuff with the best style.

6 Likes

Once Radlands (final) blue course appeared, I realised how sick lower courses were. Far more street-like and one step closer to a plaza.

But that said, in terms of skating - I’m pretty basic but loved a massive bump to ledge or a driveway back then. Those courses were amazing.

It’s weird - it felt safer in a way, having something so big to pop out of, no matter how high it was. And then a massive bank to land in works too as there is zero impact…and you spot your landing a mile off.

Weird mentality. especially when you consider how shit I was/am.

3 Likes

I watched those SLS prelims, that guy was incredible. Zach Saraceno had the best style, amazing floaty flip tricks but didn’t qualify. Also, Felipe Motta was really good too. Worth watching that, Geoff Rowley on commentary too.

1 Like

Zach is sick , very penny in his lofty flips .

1 Like

Cookie had the best style.

Some nice viewing.

10 Likes

Was gonna post this. So impressive to me that he can find new lines at a spot like that.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSMGpfPATpA/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

1 Like

DVDL getting called out by thesecrettape
https://www.instagram.com/stories/thesecrettape/2633533972682850058/

1 Like

Nice to see a bit of effort go into the presentation of a calling out.

3 Likes

Yeah, that layout really is first class.

1 Like

I hate it when people post dumb memes like that, you can tell from his response he doesn’t even know what it means. People blasting opinions on things they haven’t spent 2 seconds thinking about is so annoying.

Saying that though the way that account responds doesn’t really give me the impression they’re actually interested in helping or raising awareness of anything, they just seem hyped to put someone on blast.

3 Likes

Out of the loop on this. What’s going on here with Daan?

Posted this, gets called out, backpedallin’ ensues.

2 Likes

This…

1 Like

Idiot. Hope BA teaches him a lesson on the next AH trip!

Define ‘a lesson’.

Not sure if this was supposed to be funny but it was.

3 Likes