Mental Health Thread

most stupid thing i have done in my whole life occured after drinking a load of 60% duty free vodka on the old slow overnight ferry to amsterdam for my 21st. we went out on deck for a smoke and i decided it would be a good idea to climb over the railing and pose for a photo hanging off the outside of the boat. was easily a 50ft drop to the sea. gives me the shivers thinking about how easily i could have fallen off. and i was the sensible one on the trip. on the way home a few days later, we swerved the vodka but drink a slab of beers and caused load of trouble in the cabaret and both my mates got their passports taken off them by boat security and were put in holding rooms until we arrived at harwich

2 Likes

Have almost died too many times from blacking out drunk.

1 Like

The amount of times I went swimming in stupid places in Barcy off my tits late at night.

So dumb.

Had a few beers last weekend to test the waters but, I just still want to smack it if I have one or two, so back to no beers.

Struggling with weed, but have cut it down to maybe 1/2 spliffs an evening.

1 Like

Listening to the Ragdoll Nine Club and he touches on his depression/eating disorders and stuff and his experience and resolve are a few things I can relate too. My older brother died of aids, my mum died of cancer and my older sister died of anorexia. With all that on my plate I’m not afraid of death. I changed up my ways and found focus in certain things that pushed me to great achievements. Like Ragdoll I even decided to have a kid. But that strength is a double edged sword that can cut you down faster than you think. Talking to a professional therapist can help. My first one didnt but my second has been great. Anyway, Ragdoll’s philosophy of not being afraid to live is a pretty good one.

4 Likes

Holy shit that’s a gnarly family history. Good on you for holding it together @madmax. As always, you have a forum full of dickheads here to keep your spirits up.

Ha ha!
To be honest this thread is one of the best threads on here.
The anonymity of it helps along with sharing common experiences.

On a side note, I am tempted to delete the Guardian app off my phone because the bold red text announcing more Coronavirus victims, Trump bollocks and Environmental woes doesn’t half take the wind out your sails.

It could be algorithm related but surely there must be some good news out there? I dont understand why big media hubs dont play an even keel and try and report on good things too. I cant help but feel if their headlines depress me on a personal level, then what damage it’s doing to society as a whole?

I’ve occasionally over the years had periods where I just completely avoid any national or international news outlets, media etc - not living under a rock or clapping my hands over my ears when I walk past the radio at work or something, just not seeking it out at all. The major news stories are unavoidable regardless of this, but its easier to not pay as much attention to them or give them as much importance.

I don’t think the 24 hour news cycle we have currently is great for our collective mental health, at least not mine anyway. I feel better for avoiding information that is broadly about negative things, that I have no power over whatsoever. Local news, local politics, that’s a different thing, you can have a direct impact on those things. So I pay attention a bit to that stuff.

But it’s a difficult thing in a way because there’s an idea it’s our civic duty to inform ourselves about what is going on in the world. Which I mostly agree with. But, I still know what coronavirus is, I know my local councillor is budgeting for drop curbs for mobility scooters and I vote, I just don’t spend hours reading the Guardian on my phone anymore now. And I feel slightly better for it. There’s plenty of good news out there madmax, but you won’t find much of it in the mainstream media :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You’re deffo in the right place here, so many with great shared experience and support. There’s so much good info here I never feel the need to comment.

But I will answer the media question, basically there is no money in print media, it’s Fucked and they rely on internet income- CLICKS. Click bate through advertising . Some journalists know their jobs are on the line if they don’t fulfill a click quota. Gone are the days where the income of print media covered everything.
Unfortunately the worst news is click bate money and that’s why you’ll see so much negative news rather than positive.
I’ve sacked off media apps apart from insta, YouTube and WhatsApp , everything else is don’t through my web browser with all advertising blocked and VPN . Makes life less stressy .

I shouted at the radio (R4) the other day… “Where the f*** are the John Craven ‘…and finally’ stories?”

I’m fed up with negative news.

1 Like

News outlets are definitely not a health obsession.

I’m old school and still using RRS feeds for my online content. Saves looking at different sites for the same news (skate/general or whatever). It means I can just browse headlines a lot of the time without getting into the clickbate crap. I just follow BBC News, Guardian and Reuters for news. Hopefully I can get a good idea of what’s what from that.

2 Likes

BBC, here, and Slap.

I check newsnow NUFC, as it gathers all the bullshit stories about Newcastle United in one place.

1 Like

I don’t mean to go on but after another night blackout drunk I’m wondering about counselling for this. I’ve had enough of alcohol. I seem maybe to have lost another work client due to it too. Getting a bit gnarly and if I carry on I can’t see it ending well.

1 Like

My dad got prescribed that and let me tell you, you can throw them away and start drinking any time you like. I’d guess you’d really REALLY need to know you’d manage to not want to drink. Good luck if you go for it though.

@PolarJames I strongly suggest you do the following:

• Change your routine. The drinking is a habit and there must be triggers (or routines) that lead you astray. For me, I had to physically change the route I took home to avoid the off license.
  • Remove all booze from your house. I mean everything. I loved beer but I remember reaching for whisky when I wanted that last drink…
  • For just one day drink something else. Something sugary usually works (schweppes tonic, sprite, some obscure mixer…). Just go one day and you will have done great.
  • With that first 24hrs sans booze under your belt, go for another. Don’t project yourself a week from now. This game is played one step at a time. Tomorrow might be easy but in a couple of days something stressful might happen so don’t get ahead of yourself.
  • Get tired. Run, skate, walk… Whatever it takes to tire yourself out.
  • Seek out a therapist. Their professional and neutral stance might help you find out what the triggers are to your drinking and help you figure things out better.

But yeah, go one day no booze, then another, then a week, then two etc. It’s one step at a time. If you have someone close to you that you trust, explain the situation to them so they can help keep you on course with your goals.

6 Likes

Thanks! I’m just tidying my flat and am going to throw out the drinking paraphernalia like the corkscrew and wine glasses. There’s no booze so that’s ok. I might go for a run tonight or tomorrow morning. It’s an evening habit of going to the pub so I’m going to arrange some sober activities for the evening like skating.

1 Like

If you want to read around on the subject try- This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, Alcohol Lied to Me by Craig Beck and Alcohol Explained by William Porter.

Not a silver bullet but interesting reading

1 Like

Has anyone read this? I read the smoking book and have fully quit, 5 months no nicotine in any form and feels fucking great. I’m guessing it’s a similar format for booze🤔 Some good customer reviews

I recommend The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg.

The best one I read was Alcohol Explained by William Porter. I’m currently listening to the audiobook, the 30 day alcohol experiment by Annie Grace which is good and it breaks it into a chapter or two a day.

I’ve tried lots of methods, SMART recovery is good and they have meetings in person and online. The most enjoyable book I read was the unexpected joy of being sober.

Proudly hosted using Digital Ocean