New skateparks and plazas

Oh great fun, I think we will be moving to Dublin-ish for a year in 2023 so my then wife can get a glorious Irish passport so nice to know of something new on the horizon.

Not a new park but anyone live near the Dunstable skate park in Bedfordshire? It looks good. Is it open? Is it lit up and night? Please and thank you

Yeah lights on till 10pm and no bust as a few of my mates have been there over lockdown with no problems. Same with the Waltham abbey park .

Why is it always you giving me skate park advice? Now I owe you two beers

2 Likes
1 Like

Just saw this new place in Sydney, AUS.

Made me think, over the last 15 years or so it seems like the UK has gone from way behind in terms of park quality, to actually leading the way a bit, and now back to being behind again? Compared to Europe, say (not that this park is in Europe but it triggered these thoughts). Aside from the Oxley park there seems to be a real minimal amount of these larger scale, open plaza type parks. The country’s just littered with small generic facilities that don’t meet the needs of the locals.

The park I posted above that we’re hoping to build in Hove we tried to go down that route but it’s still nowhere near a big enough space to fully realise a proper plaza type park. And it was crazy when looking for examples in the UK for inspiration how little there was to go off.

9 Likes

Oxhey . So many people get mixed up with Croxley and oxhey.

That park in the pic looks sick as fuck. Almost thought It was high Wycombe and got excited .

1 Like

Wait which of the two is the one I like more? The one that isn’t the plaza?

Holy crap, @Load go check it out and report back please

Croxley

1 Like

Best. Park. Ever. (in the UK)

Like Oxhey plaza was great and all but I prefer buszy. Croxley has everything

Except the incredible flat bank of oxhey.
But oxhey is new and I’ve lived at Croxley for the last year when I’m not in London, so I may get bored of oxhey plaza …but it will be hard . Fucking love it .

Yeah that semicircle one? That thing is jokes. I really like the little lip around it

It couldn’t be more of a perfect angle , I’ve landed shit on there I’ve only imagined in my head and failed on other flat banks. It’s not even that mellow.

And it’s proper flat ground to flat bank, no transition

1 Like

It’s not mellow at all! It’s not one of those banks where you can claim shit that’s basically just flat ground but it’s still fun. I’m probably going oxhey early tomorrow as it goes (taking the eldest son on his bmx to the bumps)

1 Like

I’m skating London , Croxley has been a bit on top with the police in the last week

Wait, what? I thought parks were okay if attached to playgrounds or whatever

The council changed its mind , typically

Yep I’ve seen this under construction - it’s in the middle of a huge dog friendly park with 3 different playgrounds so I’ll totally be able to get to this reasonably often as there’s something for everyone in the family to do lol. It’s about a 30 min drive from my place which isn’t too bad.

Anyway, it’s huge and there’s a massive transition ‘area’ that you can see in the background on the first pic - 3/4 bowls or something. So that keeps everything nice and separate. I honestly didn’t even know about the arches, but that looks like my favourite area already.

Edit: actually, it’s a completely different park. This is the one I was talking about - also still under construction. The one above that wayout posted is super close to my work.

Just been here whilst in Bournemouth and it’s pretty fun and the hip is lovely .
The floor is smooth like marble , they did a great job on the finish as it’s not slippy either.

1 Like