Old school UK skate pics and footage

Been wanting to see the whole of this for years - remember it being advertised in the mags.

If I remember right, the guy who made it passed away a few years back unfortunately.

Here’s some footage of me and my mates at the old mini in Northwich, filmed on a super8 camera.

3 Likes

That sucks.
It is online according to the guy’s YouTube but it’s on some weird video hosting site that my computer flags up as having malware.
I do have it - might try and upload.

RIP to the guy if so, hope not

1 Like

Graham Fletcher Cook made Ollie the Gap. He died in 2019 from lung cancer due to exposure to asbestos. He’s the brother of Dexter Fletcher, and was on Saturday morning kids TV in the 1970s. I think he skated then when the craze hit around 1977.

There are a few bits on youtube I from the Latimer Road sessions with Hosoi, Ffej and Lucien Hendricks.

It would be great if the whole thing was uploaded.

5 Likes

Probably only of interest to anybody from Leicester, but I made a compilation of all my oldest footage of my mates from 2004. OG Boardroom and Vicky Park footage.

Ah, that’s sad :frowning:

Thanks for the info @Frontside
Rest in peace Graham Fletcher Cook.

1 Like

Mick Forster, layback roll out, Gillingham Black Lion skatepark. Mid 80’s @skate.flyer on Insta

4 Likes

Wonder if Hoad has changed at all?

2 Likes

What’s the cut off point for something to be considered old school? Would it be anything before double kicks become standard?

Presumably time alone isn’t enough of a criteria? It’s not like the ‘classic rock’ rule which is usually defined by anything older than 25 years prior.

1 Like

In my mind when truck bolt pattern changed that’s when the new school started.

3 Likes

For me very slightly before, when vert died and it all went to street. IIRC it was shortly after that when the truck pattern changed.

2 Likes

Youngsters saying ‘back in the day’ referring to 2006 :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Old School: Skateboarding BVD

Modern: Skateboarding AVD

(Before and after Video Days, haha).

13 Likes

Once ‘Switch’ became a thing Old School was over (although the Video Days analogy probably nails it) :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Matt Bain, handplant at the Knebworth bowl. Early 90’s. @skate.flyer on Insta

3 Likes

Steve Lilly grinding the Harrow halfpipe early summer 78 before the park was even open @skate.flyer

11 Likes

that is seriously gnarly

(I’m struggling to imagine Harrow as ever being new or smooth, haha)

7 Likes

The surface used to be ok believe it or not. It hasn’t agreed well though :wink:

1 Like

Has that got any coping?