The Beginners Thread (Ollie practice)

Hi!

I bought a skateboard a month ago. I am a total beginner. The first weeks a just rode a lot with my board trying to get comfortable. Now I have begun training ollie standing still and with speed. Since I have no one to skate with I would very much appreciate if someone could look at my video and give my any pointers if I am doing it right. I dont want to practice it with wrong techniqe.

Roll down the street and ollie up curbs. If you eat shit, you need to practice more. I you don’t eat shit, you need to practice more.

2 Likes

That’s a decent ollie for four weeks in. Your front foot looks quite far back but it worked so :man_shrugging:
Like Franc says, just get out there and do it faster now

Good effort that! Just start moving with them, up and down curbs etc and they’ll get better and better :+1:

took me like 2 years to learn how to ollie so you’re doing alright

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I’m on the right track then. I will continue to do more ollies with speed! And just ride a lot more to get confidence and control.

I went to a skate park near by (when it was almost empty bc I am kind of embarressed, there are kids there how a much better and Iam 30 ish, haha). I tried to do ollies with obstacles bc it seem easier when there is acutually something that you can ollie on (two videos).

I keep practice and also want to ask, what is the next step after ollies? I want to always to have something in my mind thats my next progress.

The next steps are only limited by your imagination brooo! In all seriousness though, if you’re doing this after one month you’re clearly some kind of prodigy who will be embarrassing pros by the end of the year.

1 Like

After ollies, it’s McTwists I’m afraid.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement and feedback. I think McTwists is a few years away😁

I have been troubled by some back illness due work but I think I back again. I have been riding alot and practice ollies in speed.

I was thinking ollie 180 is the next step.

I post two videos they are not in slowmotion but you can enable slowmotion in YouTube to better judge.

Hopefully I can do a 180 soon. Is the technique correct?

You’ve got the movement right. Try them rolling and you’ll find exactly where your feet need to be.

So Close now :pray:

Tried a few in speed but that is much harder, I have to practice more, but i think our advice is correct :grin:

I have been praticing with more speed now. Its so much harder, haha.

But here is two. One with and one without obstacle. Is the techniqe still ok?

Here is one is a slight slope.

And I also did my first pop shove it

I’m sorry if this is spam, but there is no one among my friends who skate so this is the only place I can look for feedback and follow my own progress :joy: But if this is not allowed of course I Will stop spamming in this thread.

I’m happy, you’re happy. I’d think it’s just practice and pushing yourself at this point now? Nothing wrong with having a beginners thread I guess? Which this should maybe be turned into?

1 Like

Great idea, How do I change the name of the thread?

Here is me doing FS 180 in (slow)speed. The first is me 9 out of 10 times and second video is me 1 out of 10 times. How does it look with me techniqe?

1 Like

Done it for you, because you asked. I feel like a mod.

I think this one FS180 was cleaner, i could feel the nose of the board when i rotated the board. Better feeling and more control. I think.

FS 180 Rolling 2 - YouTube

This might sound a bit odd but it might help to think of landing more switch than fakie, which would have implications for what will become your trailing leg, your trailing foot placement, your weight and your shoulders. You don’t have to do them over a rail though. - YouTube

I had to Google fakie and switch, but now I see what you mean. I will try that next time, thanks for the advice!

Is this more to what you described with landing switch?

1 Like