Pointless Topics

Dime glory challenge (Run by Canadians)
CHP (Infested with Americans)

Both similar vibes but one genuinely funny and awesome and the other just weird frat party vibes.

3 Likes

Obviously there’s some good skating.

1 Like

CPH looks painfully jockish this year

5 Likes

It’s all looking a bit ‘’Spring Break! Let’s Gooooo!’’

3 Likes

I’m really, really trying to watch this glastonbury headline lady with an open mind but fuck me these songs are dull as all fuck.

Edit: (This one is quite nice i guess).

Makes me wonder what happened to massive stadium rock bands??? Are they dead?

Ha came here to say the same thing. It’s like a new genre called Whisperdance. Mid tempo house music with your little sister whispering over it. She’s worth £50m so what do we know? But feels a bit emperors new clothes.

For all music made since 2000 I wonder how much will be played on radio in 20 years time. But then TLC came on earlier and did No Scrubs so maybe nostalgia extends to all types of music

3 Likes

Who is / was headlining tonight? Billie Eilish?

I quite like Glastonbury - as in the iPlayer coverage. It’s nice to pick a set or two to watch with a beer and have my own loo to use when required.

I’m now on my way home from seeing Weezer / Green Day at That London Stadium, so can confirm that they are still alive.

2 Likes

I’ve just turned into my parents in grumbling about new music. I think that’s an inevitible part of life I guess.

I’m sure she was great.

1 Like

Yeah but they were big(ish) 25 years ago.

Who are the biggest rock band (or just band) in the world today? I have no idea.

Foo Fighters if youre talking Rock band probably

1 Like

It does seem like those big rock acts skipped a generation when rock fell out of favour a bit - so noones really levelled up over the past decade. Most big headliners are still relying on legacy acts like Foos or RHCP.

I guess the closest you can maybe get from more a contemporary band is perhaps Bring me the Horizon (but even they are still quite niche). Or maybe something like Foals at a push? Both could play the O2 but neither could play Wembley though, so aren’t stadium bands.

The actual answer is probably Coldplay tbh

I thought Billie Eilish killed it. I can leave stadium rock to die; the best rock bands live in shit pubs, student unions and dedicated venues and that will always remain.

1 Like

Stadiums are for the Adele’s, Harry Styles, Beyoncé’s and Taylor Swift’s these days, huh?

1 Like

No, just the bands that are stadium rock now are boring and derivative. Basically the only ones from the last 20 years are Foo Fighters, who put on an amazing show but have only about 5-10 actual good songs; Nickelback, who are tight as a drum and again, have a couple of decent songs but mostly dross, and Alter Bridge following Myles Kennedy riding off Slash’s coattails. They’re the best of the bunch, but all of them just sound like music written for middle aged white men who want to throw horns but not listen to anything subversive, challenging or “political”.

1 Like

As if you just mentioned Nickelback as an example of a rock band that is not boring or derivative :joy:

5 Likes

No, I mentioned those because they are derivative.

Fair. It’s a confusing paragraph. I’m a metal/goth head and even I recognise that foo fighters have an extensive catalogue of absolute bangers. Not a big fan of their newer stuff but they’re easily the biggest rock band on the planet

@doowyrag mentioned Greenday who are absolute class live and sound great in a stadium too. Not really balls out rock but still

…and that’s why stadiums are for the Adele’s, Harry Styles, ect… these days, was my point.

1 Like

Sometimes I wish Green Day had dipped in popularity post-American Idiot, so that I could see them play old stuff in a 1000 seater venue as opposed to a 20-50k seater stadium

2 Likes

I first saw green Day in a pub in tufnel park in like 1992, I think there were maybe 10-15 people there max, it was ace

4 Likes