The Book Thread

Finished Moby Dick last night.

Real talk: the book could have been half the length, easy.
If you’re all about the actual story and action, cut out all of the chapters referring to specific aspects of whaling eg Legitimate?Non-legitimate images of whales, The ropes used, the Ironmonger, carpenter etc…

Is there a decent film of it? Or Simpsons parody? That’d do me.

I’m sure there is.
I only read it because my 6 year old son was suddenly inspired by the story and I realised it was another of those classic books I thought I knew but had never read.
I do like to read up on classics because I think it’s important to know what’s the what - and maybe get some Literature wedges on the Trivial Pursuit board - and I’m glad I stuck with it and finished it. But I don’t want to read another book about whaling, sailing or crazed one legged captains for a long time.

1 Like

Smashed the Bob Mortimer book in a day.
An absolute joy to read.

1 Like

If you were still interested in a précis of the plot of Moby Dick…

(This guy doesn’t subscribe to the Nuke the Whales theory. At least, he doesn’t mention it in the 7 minute clip here).

1 Like

Moby Dick is fantastic. Always liked Dave Carnie’s Melville allusions in Big Brother

1 Like

Moby Dick is 400 pages too long.
After that it’s not bad.

Just ordered this

So have I, now. First time PayPal’s suggested I leave a tip, too. Weird.

Yeah was asked that too, weirdly reminded me that new dancehall sevens were only £3 off the counter at Dub Vendor in 97/98.

Think a few of them are on this mix from 2005

1 Like

DigitalOcean Referral Badge