The Book Thread

The Master and Margarita is amazing. Quite enjoyed Heart of a Dog too…

1 Like

I’ll give that a go.

I went on a Sebald binge a while ago. Austerlitz is a true masterwork.

Enduring Love is really good by McEwan. You might enjoy that one more. I have tried a few by him and that’s my favourite.

1 Like

Yes that’s good. Very moving. I haven’t read On Chesil Beach - it doesn’t appeal to me.
In a very similar vein to Enduring Love, Kazuo Ishiguro’s recent book Clara and the Sun.
EDIT- I was thinking of Never Let Me Go by Ian McEwen. That’s the one that’s like Clara and the Sun. Enduring Love is also good - the balloon one.

1 Like

Never Let Me Go is by Ishiguro. I’m looking at the still after many years later unread copy on my bookshelf now.

I’ve read Atonement. Not sure how I felt about it.

There’s was quite a lot of Shawkshank Before the redemption.

You’re right. Ishiguro. And we’ll worth reading. Great story.

1 Like

Excellent. I’ll start it tonight.

I have no idea why I bought it and presumably lugged it through several house moves without ever reading it.

1 Like

Fun fact: I gave my copy to Feedback Ted when he ended up in hospital after breaking his leg in London.

First time I met Wig’s ten year-old daughter, she only put down Jane Eyre to play chess against herself.

2 Likes

Something in the water in South London.

2 Likes

I have no idea who you are talking about :sweat_smile:

Just read Merlin Sheldrakes - Entangled Life. It’s a pretty mind blowing book and just started Jeremy Lent - Web of Meaning. Both books have some pretty profound things to say regarding our current world view.

Haha! Holy fucking shit.
Just finished it.
That was so great.

1 Like

Yes stoked!!! It’s an absolute banger that one.

Now wasn’t that a lot more fun to read than ‘literature’. Pah.

One book down. 49 to go.

Now just do all the books in order I reckon.

2 Likes

Will do.

Full Bleed is a really nice book.

I missed it first time around and just had the 10th Anniversary edition delivered from Palomino.

1 Like

Why_Didn't_They_Ask_Evans_First_Edition_Cover_1934

Preposterous, very enjoyable rubbish.

I love the title so much. You see it and you just want to know. You can put a stress on a different word and get a new title too - why didn’t they, why didn’t they, why didn’t they etc.

New Hugh Laurie adaption coming out soon.

3 Likes

LOVE-ON-THE-DOLE

Read this over the weekend. Recommended, much to reflect on, not least the things that have changed & things that have remained the same…

1 Like