The Brexit Thread

If we were to revoke now, as the ECJ confirms we can do unilaterally, we would remain exactly as we are.

I suggest you read the relevant parts of the Lisbon Treaty as these will confirm your supposition unfounded. Start with page 283, protocols pertaining to our right to maintain our own monetary policy.

Regardless of tariffs, the EU has confirmed we won’t have an MRA on Conformity Assessment. JIT manufacturing will cease to function as required immediately and the increased costs through delays will be insurmountable; Honda’s baseline projection was a cost of £850k per 15 minute delay.

2 Likes

Just googled it - Honda said that a 15 minute customs delay could cost them up to £850k a year. I have heard that stat before but I don’t fully understand what they mean by that.

From a logistical and supply chain perspective, they’d have to drop JIT and build some warehouses. Not the end of the world in the long term but a short-term problem, probably enough to make Britain a less attractive base for production. Obviously this is something that will be negotiated into a deal.

I don’t think you should neglect to reflect on the fact that with the EU-Japan trade deal in place (no tariffs on Jap car imports) Britain is already massively less competitive, that commitment to EV production is changing the landscape for the car industry, and that Brexit gives these companies a convenient way out.

yes, and we don’t have to stay as we are, we are still a free country even part of the EU. It’s a good wake up call to reform our own politics without the mess of leaving. The EU is NOT the problem, WE are! it’s our politics that are fucked. foriegners aren’t going to oter countries to exploit the holes in their benefits, or their healthcare, they are using us, and why not, we are wide open. Our politics are fucked, our systems are fucked, our heirarchy is fucked, we’re fucked.
I’m utterly puzzled with how leave voters can’t see this. Really, you’re taking the most posh, greedy, self serving cunts word over the leaders of all the EU countries that are doing better than us?

2 Likes

The “a year” bit is semantics. If you are not already au fait with it, Google what conformity assessment means and you’ll understand how delays and costs will spiral.

From a man who allegedly runs companies you seem to suggest an unnerving ignorance towards understand the fine balances and systems busines rely upon to function cost effectively. If it was as easy as that then wouldn’t it be super! But it isn’t, what will be cheaper is to close down UK operations and move production within the single market/back to Japan now the FTA has been agreed.

And yes, this discussion regarding an MRA on Conformity assessment will not be relevant in the case of a deal being agreed but we are specifically discussing a no deal scenario and, as per usual, this is a massive issue conveniently forgotten by those advocating it.

Of course but the lower echelons of the proletariat have always been easily led and Brexit just illustrates how laughably so.

Take Warwick, constantly disingenuous because he’s used to people not researching/questioning his narrative. Britain is fucked for the reasons you say and because a majority of folk could never be bothered to educate themselves beyond a headline.

1 Like

Lol. Sorry but I don’t recall seeing a ‘let us back in please’ clause.

EU countries don’t want us to leave because they want to sell us their stuff as normal. They would rather drop the whole thing and carry on as if it never happened than saying “you’ve made your bed, now lie in it”

1 Like

You need to pay more attention to the situation mate.

ECJ ruled in December last year it can be unilaterally revoked.

https://www.gtlaw.com/en/insights/2018/12/ecj-confirms-uk-can-withdraw-brexit-notice-unilaterally

Ah yes I admit I forgot the detail of this Scottish thing - the second referendum/general election withdrawal route. Yeah ok I accept I’m wrong on that point.

But as the EU was dead against this, and it wasn’t in the Lisbon treaty, I still stand by the belief that our position and existing agreements will be challenged if we rejoin.

The EU was against it as a unilateral option.

And there is no passarelle clause in the protocols relating to UK specific rights in the Lisbon Treaty, nor the European Commission being unable to propose laws relating to security or defense. Plus, alongside Denmark and Malta, we never signed up to PESCO.

If we remain we legally revert to exactly how things were. It’s as simple as that.

Three weeks, and we can put all this behind us and move on.
All the indications are that U.K. and EU negotiators are going to come up with a deal. The EU has always played hardball, and ran rings round Theresa May, but they haven’t been able to bank on Boris caving in. What this means is that both sides have had to give and take. The resulting deal will let us leave and be independent, while letting the EU protect its Single Market, and let trade between us continue.
I could be speaking too soon, but I think it’s all over and Brexit is going to happen.

That is your most absurd comment yet.

2 Likes

Are you fucking deluded? We can all move on? If my business suffers and I can’t pay my mortgage and my kids don’t get the medicine they need then i’m coming for you.

5 Likes

Wait and see. If they can come up with a deal that can be accepted by the DUP and the ERG but also a dozen or so Labour centrists, it’s done. And all the indications so far are that all of those groups are willing to compromise. The U.K. and EU/Irish negotiators aren’t so stupid they’d sign off a deal that would destroy businesses and jobs or stop people getting medicine, or cause fire to rain from the sky or plagues of locusts or whatever else is supposed to happen if we leave.

This recent development is intriguing, what exactly is the compromise that’s pleased the Irish PM so much?

shares in businesses that will thrive as we transition to becoming the 51st state ha

I wouldn’t be surprised if members of the cabinet or relatives aren’t shareholders of P&O, stena link etc.

They haven’t released all the details but as I understand it, it’s an arrangement that means NI counts as in the EU for things that matter to Europe, and out of the EU for things that matter to us

I’m not saying a deal won’t be done. I’m saying you are beyond naive if you think it is “done with” and will be put behind us.

Not a chance; much as fringe Eurosceptics like yourself never gave up on the idea of us leaving there will be many who will not give up on us becoming a part of the EU again and every single negative experienced after Brexit will be used as ammunition for the cause. The difference being it won’t be a couple of hundred Alan Sked devotees or James Goldsmith funded lobbying, this will be millions.

3 Likes

Unless the as yet unspecified benefits of Brexit finally appear, we can refer back to this for a good few decades if it turns out even leaving with a deal is a steaming pile of shit.

Check out the Parade online skate shop