The Lazy Twitter Thread

Don’t be ridiculous. What live sport does Netflix offer? What do you make of the general standard of documentary?

Like say providing lessons at the last minute when schools were closed during a lockdown?

4 Likes

Yeah that’s BBC Bitesize, which was good.

I don’t watch sport, I don’t really understand what’s involved with broadcasting sport doesn’t it just happen and you film it? Anyone could do that surely?

What good BBC documentaries have I missed?

Not sure the argument is understanding how it’s done or how good or bad the bbc are at doing it. We’re talking about value for money and output, Netflix doesn’t offer any live sport so it’s beaten easily there.

The recent Brian Cox one Universe is good and I’ve not watched the Pavarotti one but I heard that was good. My experiences of Netflix were that about 1 in 10 were worth watching.

1 Like

.Slaps jimo with David Attenborough and Louis Theroux.

6 Likes

Anyway the more we argue about this the more Nadine Dorries wins.

Also:

download

Yeah ok if sport is a bbc strong point I had no idea about that…it wouldn’t figure in my calculations of whether I get value from the licence fee.

The point I was trying to make is that judged on tv alone the BBC can’t really hope to compete.

and the less our pm is put under pressure.

I would like to think this forum can sway public opinion but I’m not sure. Huge if true.

Just in case… STOP VOTING FOR THE BLUE UKIP PEOPLE YOU UTTER MORONS. TA.

2 Likes

Any channel that’s wastes my money on Mrs Brown’s Boys needs a shake up! Also sport coverage has been getting smaller and smaller on the BBC.

3 Likes

A large amount of live sport which has reduced is much bigger than none though.

Why don’t the likes of Netflix go for sports? Too much money?

Amazon do, I don’t know why Netflix don’t. Don’t think they’ve ever done anything live

Yup. Amazon pay fuck all for their football coverage relatively because it’s a package (the christmas period) that nobody else wants so they can buy it cheap. Plus I’m pretty sure they don’t even care if it loses money, they want people signing up to Prime in the lead up to Christmas

1 Like

Have to say the Amazon football coverage they’ve done for the last two sets of Christmas fixtures they’ve had were really well done. They clearly have the money for such things though!

The other thing the BBC does is cater to niche interests in a very accessible way that isn’t patronising to the “core” followers. I thought using Churchill for their skate punditry at the olympics was a masterclass, for example; because for me, I was like that Leo meme, but he explained stuff clearly enough that my wife, parents and work colleagues all understood.

BBC4 is an absolute treasure trove. I rarely watch it, but when I do it’s something I’ll ramble on about to everyone I meet for days.

All of the best dramas I’ve watched in recent memory have been on the BBC.

Netflix et al seem to have so much content that there’s bound to be good stuff in there somewhere, BBC is more refined and produces more new content at a higher standard.

2 Likes

It also threatens OAPs with big fines and even a court sums and maybe jail, if their licence is not up to date, which must be very frightening to them. As it hikes the age and price up and up, so that you are born into a licence agreement you didn’t agree too, until you pretty much die now. If the BBC hadn’t gone after the OAPs they’d probably have my full support, even after the massive Savile cover up.

1 Like

Find it very difficult to sympathise with OAPs as a general group when they’ve largely caused all of the things that make my generation’s lives much more difficult. May sound callous but that’s just how it is.

Jeez, do you spit in your grandparents faces when you see them as well? There are enough Wainwrights around too.

2 Likes

Yep, it’s all part of a long term attack from the Tories.