The Contest Thread

I did something similar at the ramp champs once, but it wasn’t a statement about powleys scoring, I was just too drunk to do any tricks. Also a bit shit.

3 Likes

Role model

2 Likes

I had an idea the other day, would it be possible to set up an alternative commentary for skateboarding at the Olympics, done over a platform like Twitch? I can see the BBC commentary being a bit shit (unless they get Anon and LA to do it) and it might be funny to produce more skater-focused coverage.

2 Likes

Always liked Churchill’s commentary at shop riots, he ain’t afraid to rip the shit and he’s quick as fuck .

3 Likes

Tim Warwood and Ed Leigh :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Imagine how much better itd be with Tim Westwood though

3 Likes

He’s the guy that did the Red Bull Soapbox races from various places in the world about ten years ago. Bit too wacky for me.

1 Like

Wow. Yeah, not down for listening to that guy.

Having looked into it, I think Twitch would not allow the rebroadcasting of a live sports event. There’s too much money involved in the TV rights for the Olympics.

Would be good to do it illegally somehow though.

Hopefully somebody will do a decent edit of it as soon as it’s finished and either leave it quiet or do a new commentary, so we don’t have to actually watch the version that goes out.

I’m not sure if soapbox-racing people are better or worse to be involved than rollerbladers. Oh well.

1 Like

There was a guy who pretended he was playing a game but just livestreamed UFC events instead.

1 Like

This platform allows fans to do their own commentary:

Wonder if The Bunt guys or someone would be up for doing it.

Translation:

As a protest against the judges, that gave an absurdly low score to Tom Schaar, the Brazilians, Pedro Quintas, Pedro Barros and Luiz Francis used their semi-final runs in the Dew tour park contest to send a message.

Readers will try to threaten us, implying that the Brazilians were giving an opportunity to other skaters to finish in a better position, whereas it should be the best of the best in the olympic games. But no, that’s not the case. The message was perfectly clear, including in the interview with Pedro Barros after his runs (last video here).

2 Likes

Lots of people do live football commentary but don’t show the match. So you turn down the TV and the computer up. I guess that could work for skating too?

2 Likes

I had to laugh at the spin the US commentators tried vainly to put on what the Brazilians were up to. Nope, not buying that. It’s a clear fuck you to World Skate and the judges and everyone knows it :joy:

7 Likes

This is who’s going to the Olympics:

Can’t believe Jagger Eaton snuck in there over someone like Dashawn Jordan or Jamie Foy. Sick that Rune made it!

1 Like

At least we have 2 women repping us, even if 1 of them has never lived here.

Poor old De Cuna.

1 Like

And neither of them live here now.

I thought every country was allowed somebody in there, but I guess not?

Hence the UK being represented by a 12 year-old Japanese kid and a 14 year-old American. I thought ‘qualifying’ was just for fun and every country who wanted to send somebody could, even if they were shit.

4 Likes

No I believe it was based on points from multiple qualifying events.

De Cuna could qualify through finishing the middle of the pack in multiple events whereas people like Nyjah could win a couple and it would be enough point.

There was a story in the winter olympics where this women qualified for skiing halfpipe by simply turning up at every single qualifier. She could only kickturn and basically wanted to call herself an olympian.

That’s what I asking a while ago, so you can’t have Eddie The Eagle and Eric the Eel types entering these days? That’s what made the Olympics amazing.

2 Likes