UFC / MMA Thread

Absolute weapon. He looked gutted he’d won.

Rewatching some old bits.

By all accounts costa is fighting whittaker next. Can’t see that going well for him

Doubt anyone else has stayed up / got up for UFC259.

First of the 3 title fights about to start, excited.

Yan’s knee was horrific.

Yeah that was just stupid. Deserved to lose the strap for that. Claim a fuck up from his corner but he still threw it. I’m sure the rematch will be good though

Nunes looked like she was fighting a mum on night shift at the local mosher bar,

Izzy did well going up but Jan’s strength and size showed and his wrestling finished it off.

Just because we are on a skate forum, Dom Cruise throwing shade at Hans Molenkamp was Interesting, glad a fighter called him out!

This dude had something to do with Osiris then merged into MMA in the late 00’s. Got a few people on Osiris then pushed his way into doing more MMA stuff. Ends up as MMA team manager at Monster and had basically used it to push into circles and if you ain’t kissing his ass, you ain’t getting on the team.

There’s loads more too it, like, he has a BJJ black belt but never fought pro, just some white collar kick boxing thing but makes out he’s an OG fighter and can hang with the Elite MMA fighter on the mat.

Very well know to have someone secretly film him getting a lesson from someone and then say he was sparring.

He just really extends the truth to be honest and added with a massive ego and a monster energy cheque book, he’s very unlikeable.

Dana already called him out once but Hans deleted to post it was on.

Oh and Dom was one of the first if not the first MMA guy to get a Monster sponsorship if I remember right if that adds anything

1 Like

Gordon Ryan has signed with One and Im struggling to understand what he stands to gain from it apart from an almighty hiding

Don’t know who that is. Links?

He’s a ridiculously outspoken but very very high level no gi BJJ black belt under John Danaher / Renzo Gracie who basically dominates no gi sub only comps. Allegedly makes millions from his instructional dvds so I cant really see what he gets out of signing up to get his face punched in

1 Like

Gordonlovesjiujitsu on instagram

Will check it out. My mate sent me some stinking open palm strike finish earlier.

Gordon Ryan has been around MMA fighters and gyms long enough that I find it really hard to believe that he’s done zero striking. He’s obviously got the capacity to learn techniques and athletic, so it’s not like he’s some scrub. Look at what Ryan Hall’s been doing and he’s nowhere close to the strength and explosiveness of Gordon. Ryan Hall is also in the position where coaching and instructional videos means he doesn’t need to receive concussions for to make a living, but still fights every now and then.

Where Ryan Hall has the advantage is the UFC does not allow stomps to grounded opponents. ONE does. I don’t know if that’s just gifting Gordon Ryan your leg if you go to stomp him, but I suppose it’s a little something that’ll discourage just hanging out in his guard. They used to allow head kicks to grounded opponents until a few years ago too, but banned them when they started trying to expand.

ONE is such a weird company. Carries itself like it’s super legit, but accumulated losses were at something stupid a year or two ago.

Here it is - an article by Bloody Elbow looking at their finances. $126m!! Chatri Sityodtong is such a cult of personality, and as far as I can tell more often than not people fall for his schtick.

1 Like

I love seeing BJJ guys transition into MMA. Interested to see how Gordon Ryan fairs.

On Jurwell’s point on grounded opponents, Garry Tonon is doing pretty well under ONE’s rule set.

Was listening to Jack Slack’s podcast earlier and apparently Gordon Ryan’s had a falling out with Keenan Cornelius because he revealed publicly that Gordon’s not been doing very well in sparring. He also said though that his signing with ONE is for submission grappling as well as MMA, so it’ll just be like Tenshin Nakisawa’s signing with Rizin; i.e. he could compete in MMA but will stick to his chosen discipline.

So, Francis Ngannou with a bit of wrestling is scary, eh?

The weight difference in that fight though. It was rad seeing Francis fight with technique, rather than just going to try and bang someone out.

That takedown he stuffed and then bashed Stipe’s head about. When I watched that I was like oh shit.

I like them both. Trilogy? Lewis or Jonny Bones? Heavyweight is interesting right now.

Also rate the DP sacked of a title fight for the P against Connor - I hope he wins then goes for the belt. Payday.

Big news for UK MMA this week…

Paddy Pimblett signed to UFC, Darren Till breaks collar bone and is out of his fight next week with Vettori and Leon Edwards vs Nate Diaz has been announced!

1 Like

Edwards gunna lose.

Massive fight for Arnold Allen tonight.
Met him a couple of times and flowed him some grooming products.

Cmon fella.