UK Skate Forum - Birthday

Happy Birthday…to us!

That’s right, UKSF is exactly 1 year old today and it exists becuase of all you lot. Thank you all for contributing, or lurking, and making it the stupid, amusing and uniquely British place that it is! We’ve had well over 1 million page views!

As a present to all you proles that don’t subscribe I’ve turned Ads off until Monday 9th March.

So celebrate let’s have a little reflection and let everyone know:

1. What do you think best thread is?
  2. What’s your milestone memory (any particular post you remember as being particularly good, or funny, or whatever)?
  3. Best/funniest/quality contributing forumer
  4. What’s the best thing about the forum (functionality wise?)
  5. If you could improve one thing about the forum, what would it be? (eg what’s most annoying thing?)
  6. Have any ideas on how to how we can improve it? Let us all know and I’ll try and sort it out.

You don’t have to answer any/all. Keep being dickheads

Cheers

10 Likes
  1. The Mental Health thread is the one. Rad to see people sharing experiences and supporting each other.
    The Trick Of The Week ones were people film shit and post it are awesome too.

2. I love you all.

3. Would be cool to be able to quote multiple posts in a new post (well, maybe that’s possible but I don’t know how to do it).

4. Embedding Instagram posts maybe?

THANKS SPANKY.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m stoked on the mental health thread. Has surely dragged some people out of some dark times…I hope.

3 Likes

1, Agree with Franc - the Mental Health thread. I’ve pointed a few old-skate mates here for a lurk as there are some top tips to be had.

Need to post more (blames life / winter) but Trick Of The Week is ace.

Also the threads that give me guidance on what to read, watch, listen to & wear are useful.

4, I like the mobile functionality and mute thread option.

Happy Birthday UKSF!

2 Likes

You can do this tho @franc? Just grab the URL for the insta post and paste it into your reply. Make sure it sits by itself on a new line otherwise it won’t work.

1 Like

Quick vid how to do it here. Basically same for mobile.

I lurked the old sidewalk forum hard, this one feels a lot more like a community and as an outsider to the old forum this old felt more accepting from the start. also nice not to have endless shit posting from Kayleigh

7 Likes

Mad to think how anti- this new layout I was when moving over and how much I was stuck on the old forum, looked and worked like shit in hindsight

Works so well, probably the best functioning/ looking forum I’ve ever been on. Big up everyone involved with setting this up and keeping it running.

1 Like

Are there more stats regarding the amount of regular/semi regular posters vs amount of lurkers and page views?

Would be interesting to know if it’s just the same 30 people shouting about shoes, or if there’s a load of other people sat at home watching us shout about shoes

Yeah it’ll embed the Insta post but you have to open it in a new window to watch it if it’s a video, unlike on Slap where you can watch it from the forum.

1 Like

I asked about this before but think it is hard to distinguish between a legit lurker and a bot, at least that was the case on the old forum when I asked anon as it always showed like 100+ lurking all the time but he seemed to think a lot weren’t legit

A big thank you to Spanky putting this all together.

Can wait for better weather for more tick of the week antics, I might try to film something one day.

Also for more Middle Age Shed updates.

4 Likes

Of the page hits we have, half are legit logged in members, 25% are bots, 25% are lurkers, roughly.

You on mobile (if so, what one?) or desktop?

Desktop. I check the forum on Safari on a MacBook Pro.

Thanks Spanky, when do the mods get their dividend payouts from all that Patreon money? :smiley:

1. What do you think best thread is?

Shoes - I like shoes and I like people talking about shit shoes and good shoes.

1. What’s your milestone memory (any particular post you remember as being particularly good, or funny, or whatever)?

Spanky delivering the Work Lurk Marketing Pro Dark Theme has given me access whilst at work without getting busted.

1. Best/funniest/quality contributing forumer

Les is my favourite human. He’s grumpy but lovely. I want to hear his opinion on everything. He is a mans man, he like sports and alcohol and gambling and movies and video games but he also works hard and started a family. Great bloke.

1. What’s the best thing about the forum (functionality wise?)

Quoting and posting images.

1. If you could improve one thing about the forum, what would it be? (eg what’s most annoying thing?)

It needs a direct video uploader like you can for images from your phone. Would make the trick of the week easier.

1. Have any ideas on how to how we can improve it? Let us all know and I’ll try and sort it out.

The best way this can be improved is by getting more people posting and creating good threads.

3 Likes

Congrats. Enjoy your celebrations!

PS. I wonder what that company is doing with Sidewalk these days? the site still exists…

Let’s fuck.

2 Likes

I am planning a skate at Spit and Sawdust Cardiff with a mate who lives near who hasn’t skated in 20 years. I know we chatted on here about having a forum meetup there a good while ago. Maybe we should try and arrange something? Seemed like hard work getting people to the same place at the same time but it’s possible.

3 Likes

It seems like it would be silly not to. I’ve been on a year long hiatus because of my baby but I think I’ve got the green light from my wife to go out skating again now that he’s a bit older and we know what we are doing…ish.