80s skateboard reissues

I have just started skateboarding again in my late 30s. It’s really popular where I live. I had an accident the other night and tore the ligaments in my ankle very badly. I have decided that I would rather an old style board to cruise up and down the seafront where I live (not bother with the ramps). Does anyone have any recommendations, specifically full set ups that are reasonable quality - e.g. the trucks are not flimsy.

Thank you.

which area are you in?
we can easily suggest a decent skater-owned store for you to go have a look through options/get advice if we know roughly where you are.

1 Like

What board are you currently riding? Do you find the size about right or do you want something bigger? 80s styling won’t necessarily make for a more stable ride than a modern board. Often the best place to start is with what you have. Softer wheels will make it more of a cruiser. Adjusting your trucks will make a difference to the way it turns.

1 Like

Thank you for replying. I am currently riding this board:

Core Split Complete Skateboard 7 75 Teal Black | SkateHut

I am living in the South East on the coast near Brighton. The 80s board felt broader and had a bumper on the back - I used to slam on it when I felt myself falling, probably not the correct use but I miss having it.

7.75 is quite a slim board these days, especially if you’re in your late 30s and not flipping it.

Try something like an 8.5 with some wider trucks and softer wheels. It’ll provide you with more stability, will let you carve around, and will still let you do tricks if you want to have another go at more than just rolling around.

2 Likes

Maybe a longboard would suit? Bigger wheels, wider turning arc etc. No tricks but less risk of injury

1 Like

Quite likely. I had a go on one the other day and really enjoyed it.

Fucking hell, flogging the idea of longboards as a good thing now!? Haha.

5 Likes

As others have said, a bigger/wider board will feel more stable. I’ve never ridden a longboard but they are made for the kind of cruising you’re interested in. Get soft cruiser wheels. And find a skater-owned store where the staff will be able to advise you on specifics.

Also, if you look at the link you supplied there’s a size guide. The 7.75” model you have is described as being for younger or smaller skaters, so it will probably feel quite twitchy and turny if you’re around average size for someone your age.

1 Like

Just an option but I’d get a 9.75 from your local skate shop. Something like the Dane Brady pro model or a Krooked Gonz board. Will feel much nicer than a 7.75 for crusing. Something like 57mm soft wheels will do the trick.

1 Like

Using a 7.75 these days is like trying to skate a moving slackline I’d go for a 8.5-9" if you’re just going to cruise. An old school board is just too heavy (IMO)

3 Likes

Shin Sanbongi 8.75 “surf” deck, 8.75, would be good in that kind of range. Got wheel wells too.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think that mine is actually an 8 although it’s a 7.75 on the link. I joined a longboard group and went cruising with them on my little board (I hadn’t splashed out on the longboard) and loved it. I then signed up for a course doing ramps. That’s when I got hurt.

I probably will buy a long board - not cheap for a reasonable set up and I am about to move house. Possibly, a good option. Just love my childhood memories of my old board.

The Core board was actually £20 from TK Maxx… Not a big purchase really. Got my use out of it already. On the flat, it’s actually fine. It’s the ramps when my balance goes. The instructor on the course said that they come with very cheap trucks and that doesn’t help matters.

A longboard will be no good for transition (ramps). You’d be better off with a normal skateboard for that.

1 Like

Honestly mate, a longboard will be more hassle than it’s worth. Majority of the time you’ll be carrying it, you won’t be able to skate ramps on it and you won’t be able to ollie.

Best bet if you don’t want to spend too much money and aren’t sure if you’re gonna stick with it, just get something like this. £90 gets you a decent entry level cruiser from a proper skate brand. Guaranteed you’ll get more use out of it than a longboard

1 Like