'Alright, OK'

Also Ray Barbee’s “Can’t Stop (The Firm)” section at around 24mins here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHWX1QWSmIc

and it might not be an original soundtrack, but whoever decided to put some shamanic singing over Tom Penny footage in this clip was on the money

In general although it didn’t work for Extremely Sorry I really like it when people do original soundtracks (even when it’s a bit shite or cringe).

2 Likes

Did J Mascis make A Little Ethnic Song for Memory Screen?

Hope this is good and I’m stoked to see what Crockett has been doing! I hope that it’s more like the last few shorter Vans videos as Propellor wasn’t really my cup of tea. Maybe because it was so long. I don’t really care about Elijah Berle or Justin Henry but hopefully they surprise me. Have only really seen Henry’s part in Mother and it didn’t make me feel much to be honest.

Ps. Original soundtrack has me slightly worried but fingers crossed it works.

It’s on the horrible-named-but-brilliant Guitarorrists compilation. There’s a Steve Albini track on there that’s never been anywhere else too.

That was 1991 too though, so who knows which came first.

3 Likes

It’s not an original soundtrack, when I said Danny Garcia’s “on it” I literally meant just that - in that they’ve just used some of his music in the video.

Whole tracklist is already on the premiere link above.

‘In Dreams’ is on there. Not really sure that should be touched after ‘Vase’, even though it was only on the credits. Could picture Crockett pulling it off thought.

@sk8arrog8 not sure why I’m, but I’m surprised you’re not a Justin Henry fan.

Actually had a thought, sort of along these lines earlier, and it amused me quite a bit.

I just haven’t seen too much of him tbh. Has he just had the one part? she’s just not really on my radar.

Yeah nobody should be using Roy Orbison after Vase.

Lives up to the name?

1 Like

Gilbert has reined his trouser game in.

Skating is great.

Pacing is quite slow by modern standards. Quite nice to see but video lacks a bit of excitement in places.

That Roy Orbison tune has been used in so many videos.

Heavy wannabe James Dean vibes from Elijah. His vibe seems like 10 years too late. Had some incredible tricks though.

Mason can sleep easy.

2 Likes

Pretty, pretty good.
Crockett seems to have retired his big chinos.
Not sure about Elijah’s after-bangs.
The existential American hero vibe is looking a bit corny.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Have you been trawling the Meme thread on SLAP?

1 Like

Really liked Danny Garcia’s music and Greg Hunt’s filming.
Totally agree about the 1950s American hero vibe being very conscious and laboured, I guess Vans has always played to that image to a certain extent, but here it quickly felt pretty silly + anachronistic.
A bit like if Blueprint had made a video entirely with skaters in bowler hats edited to Vera Lynn.

Gilbert Crockett is wicked though, he’s like a cat.
Also liked Elijah’s huge bump-to-bar ollie where he has to weave dead fast onto the pavement in the run-up, and his 50-50 to 50-50 grind where he has to dodge the roadsign.

2 Likes

Nobody posting an actual link?

It’s the first video in my first post.

1 Like

Yeah, this forum format is a bit dumb in that once you’ve opened the thread it goes to the bottom.

It opens the thread at the last post you looked at. And if you can’t be bothered reading all the posts you can scroll to the bottom with the little marker on the right.

Actually thinking back on it I think the thing I was most impressed and genuinely surprised by was Gilbert’s mad coin trick. I’m going to try it right now and will 100% fail.

That was good. Very good. But… the overriding thought I had during the whole of Elijah’s section was how he seems to of become a cheap imitation of Dylan. Felt a bit off that one. Skating was incredible though.