Arin Lester Sci-Fi part

Ever since she appeared to the wider skateboarding world via her insta, Arin has been a very powerful and influential person in our culture.
She’s also tech as fuck with amazing style.

6 Likes

She occupies an interesting place in skating I think in so far as nearly all of her documented skating falls into that older early to mid 90s paradigm of ‘only film the hardest tricks that you can do’. Love it.

Also - Jerry guest trick :slight_smile:

1 Like

Loved it, a load of her tricks kinda happen before they happen if you know what I mean, really satisfying. Like you can see what’s about to go down as it begins to fall into place. Solid style.

1 Like

Frontside Flip Fakie Nosegrind Shuv the hard way was really sick.
Fully Shortys Steve Olson thought lanes, that one.

1 Like

A bit otherworldly and weird just like Akwasi. Perfect Sci Fi Fantasy part, I love it!

1 Like

Steve Olson would be an amazing Sci Fi team addition.

2 Likes

Who knew double fs flips could look that good.

It would have been nice to see a few more lines - it maybe would have separated the part more from her Instagram clips - but otherwise her skating is cool.

1 Like

Weird one this. I think I like her insta clips more than a video part. Music didn’t help. Loads of really hard stuff but mostly, in my opinion, ugly as fuck. She’s clearly having loads of fun though.

2 Likes

Enjoyable, few stinkers that the boys wouldn’t get away with but that’s a good thing right? The gap fs 180 nosegrind was really sick. I can’t comment without feeling like it’s mansplaining

7 Likes

Hmm. That’s a clear violation.

I called redo on Carlos Rebeiros sbsnbs on clipper - I’ve made my overly critical bed, so can’t let Arin get away with it here.

*Still looked cool though

3 Likes

@notamake

3 Likes

I’m of the belief that the boys should credit themselves with the leeway the girls get sometimes and not be so hard on ourselves. That said her skating makes me hark back to a time long ago when no one was making any tricks. I think I went a year without seeing Biffa land anything at all at one point. She should loosen up on the tech a bit and take an extra push as far as I’m concerned. But obviously I’m an old fat twat and no one cares :+1:t3:

5 Likes

I thought the tech tricks were sick. As Anon said she’s channelling Foundation era Steve Olson, one of the best possible styles to bring back and by god the world needs it right now.

Arin doing fast basics would be boring.

2 Likes

Yeah I get it. Just not my bag. The fs 180 ng was the sickest thing in the part for me and was relatively simple. Was just a bit overkill on the slow tech for me, would like to see it edited better, not her change anything.

Arin Is big on Insta, Gifted Hater on YouTube… do you think Jerry Hsu is trying cultivate a team of ‘legit’ influencers? The anti-braille and such teams?

Definitely watch Arun’s part again, which is high praise in this day and age.

3 Likes

I imagine he just picked people he likes that have some personality alongside their skating. If you have some personality and can skate ok then you’re naturally going to get some love on instagram and maybe get hooked up.

It’s kind of cool.

Regarding the skating, not a fan of some of the trick choices and speed but there’s something charming about her skating, maybe because she’s always smiling.

1 Like

I was clearly asking a question. Not making a statement. It’s for other people to continue (or not).

1 Like

I feel really horrible with some kind of neo-Covid/fever shit and this just made me guffaw hard.

I can vividly remember trying to do a heelflip frontside nose slide on the little ledges in Notts Square just after seeing Rick Howard do one in Questionsble, so 1992. I genuinely tried it, and nothing else, for about 3 consecutive weeks before eventually doing one that stopped dead and never trying again. You might’ve been there for some of it @Barf Halcyon days of self-imposed frustrated rage.

I miss the 101 vids where every trick was something you’d not seen before, particularly as that genre has been colonised by insta skaters these days who generally tend to be uncurated in a sense. I get why people are not feeling Arin’s part but personally I love it.
It reminds me of a) having functioning pop and b) of a time before gate keeping.
More please.

2 Likes

Brings up an interesting point about gate keeping.
She’s on record as having said she completely rejects the idea that anything is ‘illegal’ or ‘wrong’ in skating. I forget where it was but somebody asked her whether downhill manny tricks were cheating and she replied with ‘no, that’s gatekeeping which has no place in skating in my opinion’.

Probably down to her being someone with an actual regular significant job who skated for the liberation/fun side of things, rather than to conform to (possibly outdated) rules set by ‘the industry’. If you reject those completely then I guess they’re not there?

Not really on one side or the other because at one point my paid professsion was kind of gatekeeping to some extent. Interesting times.

2 Likes

Also this from the (overwhelmingly positive) YouTube comments.
Peak for Dill.

1 Like