AVE's green bench

Could write a short story about a pro skater trying to get their ender for a massively hyped part (they have the last section in a big shoe vid, their late-career “comeback” after years of injury/outside issues) and folk are going bananas in anticipation. The story would be called “NBD”.

This pro has the perfect final trick in mind for a brand new spot that the filmer has tipped him off to. The pro checks out this spot and it’s absolutely perfect. It’s a bit of a trek to get to (4 hours in traffic both ways), but worth it, and after a few warm-up tricks on the first visit he gets dead close.

He goes back home and practices the trick on a smaller obstacle in his back garden, and manages to get to a point where he’s landing it almost every try.

He starts off being super secretive about the spot+trick (in a wink-wink playful way, coyly denying rumours at the bar when team-mates ask about his ender), but after the 4th midnight trip to the same spot with no luck it all slides into something darker…

He swears both the photographer and filmer to secrecy. First as a half-jokey verbal promise, but later when they’re all drinking at the bar (to get their spirits up after the 7th failed trip), he tries to get them to cut their hands with a smashed beer bottle and do a “blood brothers”-style oath. They settle for a Bart Simpson spit+handshake instead.

As the deadline approaches for the video premiere, the pro calls a meeting with the company CEO and manages to wangle a one-month extension (arguing that the younger lads on the team need more time to find their feet and get clips worthy of the brand)

The pro goes back again and again to the same secret spot for this fucking trick and begins to lose his mind. He worries that other skaters (young up and comers…) are going to steal his spot! To steal his trick!

He starts turning off his smartphone as soon as he gets into the car, making sure he can’t be tracked by GPS. He starts to ask that the photographer and filmer do the same.
They only pretend to do so, and when he sees the filmer texting someone during the warm-up he “accidentally” shoots his board up into the filmer’s hand, smashing his smartphone…

The filmer says “that’s ok, it was only an accident”, but is quiet for the rest of the session and they drive back from the spot in silence.

In the daytime the pro goes to a hardware shop and buys chains, a padlock and “keep out”/“beware of dog” signs.

A week later and the pro is now publicly claiming he’s already done the trick! He calls Thrasher for an interview just to be able to claim it as done. They don’t want to run the interview without proof, so now he’s trying to convince the photographer to send them a bailed shot for the cover.

But the photographer refuses…

At this point, the filmer and photographer are really starting to get more reticent and evasive about joining these sessions. They understand the importance of this pro’s part and this trick (he’s nearly landed it so many times! and the spot is so photogenic!)

The pro is now having paranoid fantasies about the photographer and filmer going off to shoot the trick behind his back (with a younger am from the same shoe team!)

He needs to push the deadline back anyway, so at a company promo photoshoot decides to spike the punchbowl so all the team get dysentery and the premiere gets postponed again.
Not only this, but he’s poisoned the filmer and photographer as well.

Scared that they might already be wise to him, the pro skater goes to pay them a visit as they’re laid-up in bed. He brings them both chocolates laced with arsenic.

He calls on other filmers but noone is picking up. He sends DMs to photographers and everyone is blanking him. He checks ukskateforum+SLAP and rumours are spreading. But thank God no-one has mentioned the location of the spot yet!!!

1 week later and no-one from his team will come to pick him up in their car. He has to get the bus and then walk 1hr each way. He throws out his phone so he can’t be tracked. He stops receiving gear from first the shoe company, then his board company, then his sunglasses and watch companies.

For 5 months he goes back to this spot every night, almost landing the trick so many times!

He’s skating the same set-up and its getting wrecked. He has to go to the local skatepark and steal a 12-year old’s board when they’re not looking. The board is quite wide (not what he’s used to) but that’s ok.

Now he’s so low on money (sleeps during the day) he can’t take the bus anymore and his rent is 3months in arrears. He gets chucked out of his house and decides to walk all the way to his spot. It’s raining and his suitcases are heavy so he leaves them by the side of the motorway. Fuck it. Just needs to bring his go-pro bag and hide the board under his tshirt so the bearings don’t get too wet.

Early the next morning, as the sun is rising, he arrives at his spot. He wrangles with his ring of keys to unlock the 14 padlocks on the makeshift gate he’s constructed.

Propping-up his go-pro on some bricks as the first rays of morning light hit the ledge (his ledge!), he feels strangely hopeful, peaceful even. He presses “record”.

The pro closes his eyes, takes a deep breath, and taps his tail 3 times on the ground (a little “good luck” ritual he does).

He rides up to the ledge at speed…
flips
grinds
and rides away clean into a new day.

He checks the footage. It looks magnificent (career-defining!).
Flashing lights and the stretched wail of sirens approach as he plays the footage back in slow-mo.
What a way to end a part.

:slight_smile:

[The twist: it turns out the trick was a lazer-flip to willy-grind.]

8 Likes

15 minutes after the video is released, someone on an online forum actually points out this trick was already done at this very same spot in a H Street video.

4 Likes

He uploads the clip to youtube from prison and the first comment is “ABD”

3 Likes

Slap message user “cellardoors4life” comments “would rather watch Gino push”

Is that weird?

Surely exactly the same happens when mates tell mates they’ve “found a spot you might like”, no?

Not to me. If I was filming and editing a video I’d be telling my subjects what I’d like to see and on what spots. A lot.

3 Likes

Yeah I’m always suggesting tricks at specific spots based on who needs footage.

1 Like

Would love to make a skate video. It would probably take 10 years as i’d be such a nazi about literally everything in it.

2 Likes

Sorry if my points are a bit all over the place, my mind is quite skatty and drifts pretty quickly onto tangential subjects.

I don’t see it as weird, was mentioning it more as an cool aspect of how tricks get filmed. The “behind the lens” support network that exists around a skater. I like that filmers can become familiar enough with a particular skater’s approach that they have their own spot / tricklist in mind for what could best showcase and elevate the skater’s style/talent/approach. The skater might not even be fully aware of it!

Because for a long time I’ve felt that the representation of skating can fall quite easily into the celebration of individual personality and talent, it’s cool when the chemistry between filmer/editor + skater can make a section feel more like a collective creation. (Tom Knox and Jacob Harris defo come to mind).

Coming off the back of what AVE said in the interview about his relationship with Greg Hunt, I guess I’m just appreciating how filmers can become a combination of documentarian, hype-man, driver, spot finder, spot fixer, confidant/personal support etc.

1 Like

True skate filmers only document and never interfere with their subjects. Strobeck doesn’t even know the names of the people he’s filming, hence no captions in his videos. I only film from 100 meters away with a telescopic lens. Although sometimes I disguise myself as ledge to capture fisheye angles.

1 Like

Not as a school, hopefully.

6 Likes

That’s completely untrue man.
Name any cinema vérité/neutral observer skate filmer who makes things in this manner please.

Not being aggy just don’t think this is true at all (even on a personal ‘filmer’ level regardless of how insignificant/low key my own involvement has been).
I’d be interested in debating it though.

EDIT ah bollocks - you were being sarcastic.
Soz.

As you were.

5 Likes

Only got round to watching this.

Super good work Faran.

I’m not sure why but I was surprised how friendly he sounds. Switch back noseblunting that is a joke.

GOT EEM! etc. etc. Would probably make for a far less stressful filming experience though.

5 Likes

Got me FEW’MIN

Really enjoyed watching this too. Thanks for this. Unless I misunderstood, it does seem pretty naive though to leave something like that in a public car park and assume it won’t be removed or stolen.

AVE is a funny one in that I don’t think he has attained full legend status, (though I could be wrong?), but he’s definitely just a tier below for me at least.

He’s always had such a unique way of doing his tricks - sometimes done slightly sketchy tbh but that has become part of the appeal - I think his early years of switch-surfer-mosher-tech is one of the most unique skate styles I’ve seen. Looking back on any of his parts, I like to play a game of ‘guess what stance he’s pushing into’ - he used to push with his front foot down so low that he would look like he’s pushing switch mongo, but then he’d surprise you and ‘stay’ regular. Other times he just pushes switch, and other times, like linked below, he’d skate regular and randomly go into switch stance. It was always a surprise. So unpredictable. Compare these two mirror ‘deception’ lines at the time-stamps I’ve set:

Habitat "Mosaic" (2003) - YouTube (start the line regular, lands regular, then appears to push regular but ‘goes’ switch).

Contrast this with:

Classics: AVE in "The DC Video" - YouTube (starts the line switch, lands switch, then appears to push switch mongo but then ‘goes’ regular)

I think I’m so fond of his skating as it looks like he has to really work for what he achieves. He’s had some really unorthodox approaches to how he has done his tricks too - one that always stands out is the switch 180 nosegrind at Parallel in the DC video - he’s grinding with his back foot below the halfway point on his board but still balancing it.

Sorry, bit of a weird post, but I’m a huge fan.

7 Likes

“I’m no fly on the wall. I am the hornet that stings.”
(Fat Bill)

on the other hand, here’s some Dogme 95 skate video criteria:

• no travel to spots unless at skateable distance from skater’s home
  • no fisheye
  • all bails included
  • no skits
  • no tripods
  • no non-diegetic sound (can use sounds from other clips over the top though. street musicians etc)
  • skaters, filmers, editors not credited
4 Likes

Filmers get paid by the clip or the end product if they’re making their own video, so it makes sense they’d want to motivate skaters to get as many tricks as they can. Some skaters are out on the hunt for their own spots and some skaters are happy to go with the flow and get a trick where ever they happen to be.
I’d think if filmers didn’t take the initiative, whole days could get wasted with some skaters.
I also bet filmers show someone a spot, that five other skaters have already turned down for being to gnarly or not their cup of tea, but the filmer makes each skater feel like they’re the first to see it and it was found just for them, haha.

No apology required. Your posts are sick…i like your tangents. :slight_smile:

1 Like