Be kind rewind

veganxbones deal is to put videos onto YouTube that weren’t there previously. So companies who only upload to Vimeo and other non-YouTube players, he’ll stick that on his channel. I appreciate it - makes videos far easier to find and cast to your TV - but get it must be irritating for the people making those videos. However, the reason most of them only upload to Vimeo in the first place is that they don’t want to get flagged for copyright for the music they’re using. veganxbones isn’t out to make money from his videos so he’s more free to upload content containing copyrighted music.

But he posts stuff that’s already on the creator’s channel.

2 Likes

Yeah, just to reiterate @buildafire - ‘out of date’ content if fair game but new stuff isn’t.

There are plenty of reasons why - but here is a good one:

Pro skaters contracts are incentivised. I’m not going to talk about the heavier crew who bank a lot of money - but when you are making a couple of hundred quid a month from your sponsors, hitting video or photo incentive targets means you get to double your paycheck.

Those incentives for video are done usually via numbers across a time period. So, x amount of views in y amount of days. Y is usually quite a short time period. 7 days, for example.

Now, if the brand releases a video and someone rips it and posts it, they are not only ‘stealing’ the views from the brand but also affecting the skaters ability to hit those target numbers and make money off of his hard work.

I also think that beyond that, there is just ownership and rights on a respectful level.
Just because you put a video out there for free, it doesn’t mean it is cool to assume that it is now in the public domain to do with as you wish.

There needs to be a level of respect for the skaters and the creators. For me, that includes small brands, too.

5 Likes

Manolo replacing the entire audio on a video probably beats all of us on workload.

However, I’m not really worried about who works the most. Everyone works hard.
I don’t mean that flippantly or disrespectfully; I know you weren’t trying to say you are better but whether or not that is felt, it just isn’t the subject I am talking about here.

I am talking about whether or not people who work from other peoples output as their basis bring more ‘to the culture’.

That’s it.

It’s just my opinion which is only worth whatever value you decide it has. So, I am happy to be told I’m wrong…but I do think this is an interesting subject which has a lot of avenues to it.
I also don’t think there is a final answer which is right or wrong. Or possibly even agreeable.

If I may; I think what you do brings something to the culture.
You could even say that this is why your platform has been ‘elevated’ to Jenkem or QS whereas others havent.
I don’t want to get down on the one guy this started with. For the record, I think he does some good stuff. I just think he misses opportunities to do really good stuff at the very least and at the other end, what he does can stop some of that ‘good shit’ from having chance to appear.

Working backwards…ha ha…
As far as “in conjunction”; I think its a little bit grasping at straws.
Some skaters big full release video parts could be called “in conjunction” with the person editing, y’know? I’ve edited videos for brands where I’ve not even spoken to the skater about it because it wasn’t part of the job I was hired for.
So, yeah…sure - Vans worked 'In Conjunction" with MS. But it’s paid work and you can bet Barbee was aware it was coming.

Thanks, I appreciate that. A distinction I want to to point out though is that when I started doing stuff for QS, it was all written and my video-based work started with/through them.

It wasn’t a case of already working with other peoples footage, someone picking up on the style of it and then “elevating” it/me by having a reputable publisher take it on.

They’ve all been assignments given to me as a journalist by that publisher.

I know. The Sidewalk and Slam stuff is the same.

But this all brings something new, so the point still stands, right?

Sounds like this debate is about what constitutes content creation.

I think the bottom rung of the legit ladder is ripping videos from tapes or scanning photos from mags.

The more research and referencing you layer on top of that the higher up the ladder you climb. If you make the effort to critique the content or elevate the discussion like Faran does you create entirely new content which has never existed before and has more cultural value.

I guess you could argue that a reposting account that gains more reach than the original content creator still has value, but it’s definitely a rung below the legit guys who surface the clips.

Has real parallels with music and crate digging for samples.

3 Likes

Haven’t seen it in ages, but I really like this one.

I think there were at least a couple in a similar style? Google didn’t help much apart from saving me having to dig the DVD out to watch it again…

Free Pegasus was the following video. Same sort of deal, set in Barcelona.

1 Like

Thank you. :raised_hands:

1 Like

So ill.

4 Likes

Just had to go and watch his blips part too. Still can’t believe his ender. He’s the best.

1 Like

Ah yeah that was heavy too!

He is the best for sure.

1 Like

fell in love with Velvet Underground’s ‘Sister Ray’. it sounds a lot like Roadrunner (VU came first).
Roadrunner soundtracks this, with a comment “Dennis skates like he’s just finished school on a Friday”

so

8 Likes

Busenitz skating SF to Roadrunner, it doesn’t get much better than that.

I skated 3rd and Army. The line he does at 2:19 is not humanly possible. There’s no way it could be.

5 Likes

Absolutely love Busenitz. He skates like he came out of the womb doing all the tricks he knows how to do. Can’t imagine him learning anything, it all looks instinctive.

3 Likes

the assurance that he skates with is insane - as if failure isnt even an idea, let alone an option

4 Likes

this got mentioned very recently on both Greg and Magee’s Skate Creative and Lintell’s 9 Club

holy shit its a goldmine of brilliance

(i’ve put the USB somewhere safe; oops never finding that again, ha)

2 Likes

Censorship?

That shirt is a Big Brother shirt.
It says “CRAP” on the front with the RAP letters printed in white. The C was printed in black.
It means that you only saw the C in direct sun/certain angles.

There is/was no censorship by BB or in that video. It was just a fun shirt to piss off rap fans.

2 Likes