Best person you’ve seen skate in the flesh

Saw this on Slap and there’s a few people on here I would to hear from @Barf @anonymity @buildafire especially haha.

For me.

Very young Wes Kremer
Barletta
Oski
Tiago
Ishod
Nick Garcia was sick
Jerome Campbell, style unmatched.
Lintel
Raemers

There’s loads :slight_smile: Tiago, Ishod, Lintel and Garcia were skating street spots as well which was sick.

3 Likes

Mines Shipman at Rehab in circa 1995-1997 but that’s from a small sample size

4 Likes

I second Shipman. (With Dino Squillino at the time - hands down best name in skateboarding)

Second would be @theskatesociety - best style and spot selection ever.

Notts in those days threw up a lot of contenders, as did Bristol in early 00s…

2 Likes

Who is that?

I remember seeing @hugo smash hyde park BITD.

Shaun Currie

Skate Society is mr Hellicar. My hero growing up (even though he’s only got a couple years on me).
Such an original skater. Saw (sees?) spots no one else saw,…

1 Like

Just realised I saw Penny in the flesh. Shit. Can’t lower Shipman so tom’s coming in second (sorry Pete) which sounds sacrilegious, but prime Shipman was seriously something else.

Same actually. I’m trying to think of people I haven’t seen at comps and demos.

One of the best things I ever saw was Rushbrooke at Broadmarsh banks, floating so high, so effortlessly over every weird bump. But because he did that every week, it isn’t ranking as high as probably it should. I saw him in the Dadlands photos so a few of you maybe net him, again, amazing skater and a lovely guy.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Rick McCrank at an Es shoes demo in Brisbane. Consistant, flowy, spontaneous and in total control, barely fell off. It was the last stop of their tour and it pretty much down to him to run the show. Everybody left hyped.

Wes Kremer and Evan Smith shortly before they went pro. Just a shocking level of ability on a mid-sized mini. I’d never heard of Evan Smith at that point, he was still on Listen Skateboards and only knew Kremer from a handful of DC ads.

And yeah, CMOAC, a bunch of dudes I’ve filmed always left me flabbergasted, but especially Barney Page and Sean Smith.

5 Likes

Gonz will always be the craziest but;
Tom
Wade Speyer
Danny Way
Julien
Mike Carroll
Davie Phillip
Bob Burnquist
Curtis McCann
Ben Jobe
Mike Manzoori

Niall C
he took an entire lap of a park to get momentum for a flatground 360 flip, then kickflip backlip’d a metal edged manny pad sans wheel wax so you know that thing was barking

7 Likes

Tommy Sandoval
Dane Burman when he first got on zero.

On the other side of the coin peak Mike mo in 2008. Must have been having an off day.

Penny.
Javier.
Koston.
Carroll.
Daewon.
Lintell.
Creager.
MJ.
Rattray.
Barley.

1 Like

First time I saw Trev skate mini ramp at Corby, just stood there filming on an old Nokia in awe

3 Likes

Touring pros that left an impression on me were Matt Hensley, Sheffey, Cab, Hawk, Chris Miller, Bucky Lasek.

I saw Shipman go off a few times at Wakefield and street skating in Sheffield.

But recently seeing Jordan Thackeray skate a lot makes me think he’s something really special.

3 Likes

Curtis Mcann. He was on a completely different level to everyone else at the time. Skating was going through a super technical period but he managed it with consistency or style.

Penny. He’d literally chill all day at the park, do one mind blowing run, and sit down again. I remember at Radlands he didnt even take his rucksac off!

4 Likes

Mike Wright.

2 Likes

Apart from Mike Carroll, Rick Howard and Danny Way looking disappointed at Shrewsburys Monkmoor ramps in (Iirc) 1992 it’s a pretty difficult question. On the same day Rowley and Woody were skating well though.

H skating Rampworx bowl was good.

Never got to skate Radlands. Can’t remember any big names skating during the Wakey sleepovers. But back then I was always stoned.

At a friend level James (Ewens) always low key killed it.

2 Likes

Westgate pushing down the street by himself doing ollies
Gino at that little park in Copenhagen
Andy White when he feels like it
Rattray

6 Likes