Concrete pool coping/curb repair

Is there something I can use to fix some notchy pool coping on an indoor ramp? Like something to fill the gaps?

Any tips on how to use? And what is it? (Rather than a brand name, as I’ll have to find an equivalent here in Estonia)

Cheers

1 Like

Would this also work for curbs that need a bit of TLC from years of slappies?

2 Likes

Am wondering that too, got a local kerb with some cracks that need to be filled in. It looks a lot like the stuff I’ve seen people use on kerbs so I’m pretty sure it should be fine.

Bondo’d ours but it disappears after a couple of weeks of abuse

Check this post out for a 12 second how to…

3 Likes

and yes it would totally work for curbs. Just make sure you prep well.

(Eg. clean out any loose shit from the gaps etc)

1 Like

Used this stuff on the coping at the park last night. Was under 5 EUR for a tube. Didn’t think it would be enough to fill the gap (it was like a 10cm sausage of epoxy about 2cm thick) but there was enough to do the big gap and 2 gaps on either side. Although I was lax on cleaning out any wax (at all) or dust from the gap (just blew out as much dust as I could).

Will update here when I go back.

2 Likes

imo if you plan to repair again in future I would say definitely scrape/clean as much as possible - when we fixed up our plaza spot (which was in total probably 16? crack repairs) the aforementioned greek friend went insanely overboard with it using white spirit, dish scrubbers and iirc compressed air to make it as clean as possible - obviously you don’t have to go that far with it but I’d say getting the wax off is the best thing to do. a year plus later all but one are still intact, compared to our DIY spot where we just gave the ledge a quick wipe, filled it and it’d popped out in the space of a few days. ofc your mileage may vary but always good to do it proper, especially for larger repairs where the cost will mount up quick.

Your greek mate seems to know his shit!

I just grabbed the filler off the shelf at the store and threw it in skate bag, didn’t give much thought to preparation but will do next time, cheers!

This happened at my curb spot, I pulled the weeds out blew out the dust and the chemical metal I used seemed to shrink and came straight out

1 Like

imo really depends on which product you use, I’ve experimented with lots of different two part epoxies and by far the best are the ones in putty form - jbweld steelstik, evo-stik, quiksteel etc. Have also tried the two part ones you mix from two seperate tubes but in my experience it’s really hard to get a clean finish on them, which then causes the edges to chip up and eventually fall out. a lot of them tend to be quite runny so I don’t think they form a proper bond inside. With the putty you can really pack it down into the crack and get adhesion on both sides, plus forming it to the shape of the ledge is much easier.

I tested a few too and the best one overall was probably Milliput but it takes ages to go off.

It’s made in Wales and it’s fairly cheap so I was planning to package it and sell it for skating so ordered 1000 sticks of hardener and putty at trade price. Sadly after using a few the hardener got misplaced when we refurbed Spit and Sawdust so now I have like 900 odd sticks of putty and no hardener :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

shit, good looking out - I’ve swore by Evostik’s metal epoxy putty but it never seems to go as far as you think it will and at 7 or 8 quid a pop it adds up quick, will def be looking at Milliput in future! I would imagine most of the putty based ones are similar but if it saves a few quid that can go towards other materials/repairs it’s worth it.

1 Like

Yeah you can get a pack of Milliput from around £3 or so. It’s bigger than most of the single stick packs but as I say it takes ages to harden - best leaving it overnight really, though I have skated it after an hour on a sunny day.

Anyway…now I’ve given away my trade secret that’s my business idea out of the window :laughing:

If you buy 1000 sticks it’s £1 a stick btw! If anyone wants to buy 1000 sticks of hardener hit me up!

1 Like

Surely getting more hardener in and selling them is still more cost effective than just throwing away the putty?!?

I’d buy some. I want a free sticker with it though

1 Like

Went back there last night. Seemed to do the trick. Needed wax though and there wasn’t any around so I’ll let the locals grease it up and see how it goes.

More coping/concrete advice please:

The curbs we have (from crazy road walls) are amazing, the grind feels amazing, they go forever. But the coping and locally made curb seems to be sticky and a bit powdery. Not that lush slick feel good grind.

What should I do?

Lacquer it or something? What kind?

Normally I would say rub brick too but given its locally made stuff I’d steer clear imo. I’ve used a few brands of lacquer and honestly I’ve never noticed a difference, lot of people swear by the Rustoleum clearcoat though. I’d say 3 coats is enough and leave ample time between coats (do it on a sunny warm day to cut down on drying time).

Will wanna get rid of all existing wax too before doing anything.

1 Like