Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Cheers man - they’re still there and 100% bust free - hard to skate but very fun.
I used to cut the bushes every Spring myself but havent for the last year

Same spot with the old stair platform still there.
Me, 1988/89 I think.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 16.20.10

3 Likes

There must be numerous 60 & 70s built schools up and down the country that have provided perfect skating architecture. I think quite often a lot of this architecture went unnoticed and uncelebrated. Some local government employed architect building some nice concrete banks into his design for a new post-war school in the midlands, probably never envisioned how they’d be used 30 years later.

5 Likes

Has anyone seen any footage from here? Seacroft in Leeds - in 1968 it had banks, ledges, benches & more but got demolished a few years back

https://twitter.com/visuals0und/status/1358864802957979660?s=20

3 Likes

More Lance, more brick banks. Southsea Law Courts.

3 Likes

FUCK ME!
No I’ve never skated those and they’re definitely not there any more.
Seacroft is fucking grim too

The Roger Stevens building at Leeds University immediately comes to mind. Amazing building (though not when you’re trying to find a lecture room in a rush)

6 Likes

I think I’ve told this story on here before but whatever.

The day that Skateboard! came to Leeds (Chris Gregory bs ollie Uni banks cover) in 1990/91 I went through the window behind where Roz is there doing an early grab.
Too hyped on there being a skate mag in town I went far too fast, early grabbed and smashed my board straight through the window.
Did one at 100 mph straight back to Wakey

13 Likes

Here’s the Leics that I have to hand, will have a look through and see if there are more.

9 Likes

Absolutely loads I reckon - North East schools in Washington, Killingworth etc had banks almost as a standard and as you say, were never really recorded or even used that much, now all gone

3 Likes

Seacroft Civic Centre was demolished in '99. As Anon says though, fucking grim area and as close to “no go” in parts as you’re likely to find.

Any Midlands skaters ever played on the Bedworth Quarters? A mate’s Mrs is from there and has shown me pictures. They look whippy but I kinda like that.

5 Likes

Had a wander around Cwmbran a couple of years ago & it’s really interesting as a New Town design - sadly these banks have gone now but looked decent in 1991

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6lEOsa8SAk&ab_channel=daintonlee

5 Likes

Holy shit! Amazing.
Never seen those before - but then a lot of my searching has been through London and the surrounding areas.
That looks amazing.

This is probably the one single UK spot I always feel gutted to have never visited. Just looked perfect…

5 Likes

Yes Wally, they are fun, pretty tight and hard to skate but rad.

1 Like

It was perfect.
Only skated there a couple of times but it was insane (smaller by then I think - mid 90s).
It had an amazing free standing wall to skate too that I watched Bob Sanderson front board the first time went there

2 Likes

@WallyBazoum where was that tank place that you took me too once?
That was Seacroft/Crossgates area right?

Yeah, that was so sick; tank testing ground for Vickers (made the Challenger 2 tank). It was in Cross Gates (halfway between Seacroft and Garforth). Sadly it’s now been demolished and houses are in the process of being built there.

4 Likes

That’s it

5 Likes

:heart_eyes:

I’ll try and dig that footage out