Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Did Manhead’s backside flip over the super long kicker thing outside the demolished Ice Cream factory ever get used? Not an interesting spot but a hell of a trick!

Yeah it’s in one of the National videos

2 Likes

Ah yeah, it was on the DVD. I’m confusing it with the Netto kickflip that I didn’t think was possible (which didn’t make the cut).

1 Like

Always thought these flats in Killingworth would have had some good stuff around but they were demolished late 1980s.

3 Likes

Redditch is another new town that has absolutely hundreds of under passes with brick banks either side on its suburbs.

3392786_b00036f1

3 Likes

I think that’s where Harry Bastard grew up.
Or was it Jesmond?

Don’t forget Rotherham banks too.

Fawdon i think - he had a mini there

1 Like

That’s the ramp where the nickname ‘sketchy Harry’ came from, right?

1 Like

I think so but I’m on second hand knowledge, my friend used to skate the ramp with him (before my time)

When architects defend what they design: Edmund Bacon at Love Park

The late Ed Bacon is the architect who conceived of Philadelphia’s Love Park (aka JFK Plaza).

In 2002 the park was renovated to deter skateboarders from using it.

On October 28, 2002—at age 92—Bacon rode a skateboard to protest the ban on skateboarding.

2 Likes

Wolverhampton Civic Centre is probably the best example of a post-war bank heaven which is still about.

Was this shot at the Civic Centre @anon83623327 or somewhere else?

7 Likes

Birmingham early 90s, from FB group a while ago

2 Likes

The legendary Pig & Whistle Banks in Leeds, skated from the mid 70’s onwards. Sadly demolished a few years back. Was never the same after they closed up the underpass (and the pub, best pub in Leeds if you were a teenage punk in the 90’s!) but still a great spot.

6 Likes

The ‘Get Carter’ car park in Gateshead centre 10 mins from 5 bridges was the best spot. Impossible to find pics or videos, I made an edit there 13sh years ago but it was sadly on mpora so gone forever.

Also Sunderland civic centre- soon to be demolished maybe? Childhood stair spot. Perfect cos you could learn shit and just keep going up a step.

8 Likes

That’s very similar to Hammersmith college

6 Likes

This thread is fucking brilliant. Brutalism and Betjeman! So sad how much has been destroyed.

It would be good to make a google map with pins for brutalist/modernist spots still out there.

9 Likes

It is sad. But alot of it is horrible and has been left to decay.

Woah yeah that one looks sick to skate too! The one I posted has these kinda interesting but annoying-once-chipped hexagonal kinda tiles? So would send your wheels in all directions as they were super warped!

1 Like

I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw that and took the photo. It’s smooth brick but the pointing is very gappy now.
Deffo one for the crust monsters .

2 Likes