Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Yeah, Harry Lintell does a couple of tricks down it opening his Cover Version part.

Chris Jones does a line running up the stairs, too.

Quite a few people have hit it over the years.

Will Harmon and a bunch of others have had footage (This Time Tomorrow?) on the bank bit next to it.

2 Likes

Brill thanks, will have a watch of these tonight

3 Likes

The Arndale had been razed
Shop staff knocked off their ladders
Security guards hung from moving escalators

1 Like

They should have gone with the Mega City One-style design that was mocked up in 1965

4 Likes

Old Paternoster Square…Great spot, that was. You’d have seen the benches a lot in Playing Fields, Mixed Media and Anthems and then the hubba to the bottom left was the one which Channon King skated here:

This is the current version. Much brighter, but ultimately a really boring zone with 25-30 retail stores.

9 Likes

That 50 by Channon and the resulting sequence looks so good even now. Did anyone ever repeat that or do anything else on that entire rail?

1 Like

Bam did a drop in from the top then gap out over the last hubba, IIRC.

1 Like

The arch entrance was moved from somewhere else in London and rebuilt in the square - originally designed by Christopher Wren.

Can’t say the new version of the square is particularly exciting but as much as I love 60s architecture, the before photo does look pretty bleak

Ah yeah that maybe rings a bell.

Went down a mini Channon King rabbit hole after you sharing that sequence, so thanks! Good to see he’s still ripping.

Footage of that beast 5050:

1 Like

2 Likes

. This should maybe go somewhere else :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Basildon, 1986.

6 Likes

I had that on the bedroom wall…it wasn’t all skate photos, there were some BMXceptions.

That looks so fun.
Reminds me of this park I used to skate in Enfield which was built in an old paddling pool. One of those tiny simple parks, which was a blast.

4 Likes

That’s Basildon.

1 Like

My mum used to take me there as a little kid to paddle. ha ha.

1 Like

When BMXs had proper seat posts.

2 Likes

Brum was well clockwork orange in those days. A bit like Elephant and Castle, but a whole city

3 Likes