Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Used to live about 1km from here in the mid 00s. It was built around 06 I think, as a replacement for some tarmac lumps. The council’s main point of contact was a BMXer (Craig I think?) with dreads who was a regular at St George and went to Parallel on a trip to Barcelona once. Thought it was such a fantastic spot that it should be replicated here, and voila… Despite everybody telling him otherwise when presented with the plans, he stuck to his guns that it was a cool design which would then get further investment to expand and renew it from the council. Needless to say, that never happened.
Great to see that it still sucks.

3 Likes

That’s interesting to hear the backstory, such a shame he wouldn’t listen to advice.

2 Likes

Bump for @wayout

@wayout

Leo Valls, Bordeaux:

https://soloskatemag.com/leo-vallsHu

There are a load of examples out there if you can be bothered to look.

3 Likes

is the bank still there / skateable?

2 Likes

It has a wall at the bottom now with a lip…

Even the, it spits you onto where one motorway turns into another.

1 Like

Love the design of that, found the rest of the booklet here.

Even if it was skateable, how do you get to it, just trek through the fields?

2 Likes

I’ve only just realised that I follow you on Twitter! Didn’t put 2 and 2 together for some reason (despite same username)

Absolutely loved this motorway booklet you posted yesterday

2 Likes

ah yeah that’s how I found the photo above, on the search for archive motorway opening booklets!

1 Like

Off to see this later. Should be good.

https://louderthanwar.com/jimmy-cauty-interview-about-his-new-exhibition/

4 Likes

Reminds me of this, about 30 seconds from my mum and dad’s house

1 Like

Some brutalist concrete in Tokyo

1 Like

As somebody on Twitter said, now we know what a skatepark in a prison yard looks like.

5 Likes

It’s a training facility, all the children are there of their own volition

1 Like

One of the best comments on the GB skateboard page ,
Where’s the slappy curb?

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure if this has been posted before?

He has done loads of other non skate ones as well.

1 Like

Someone needs to message that to skater xl/ea skate quick smart

2 Likes

ah yes man! I filmed a really shite line there about 15 years ago. great spot!

1 Like

What did you think of this, buildafire?
My take was: really well executed but a bit ideologically odd. Incredible workmanship on the modelling, and a really strong aesthetic and atmosphoere, but it was strange to see an installation in Muirhouse (north Edinburgh, one of the city’s poorest areas with many ongoing social deprivation issues) by a non-local, rich artist presenting a satire of housing scheme life. Like is that the most useful target for your “punk political” art? The critique of that kind of housing as the source of social ills seems pretty outdated/simplistic and unhelpful imho. Maybe it caught me on a bad day.

It popped up quite a few times in the new Garden video, looks great!

2 Likes