Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

@llllloyd @ciaran not sure how I missed this, I lived in Totterdown for years, just a couple minutes walk from this place.
The old bumps could be fun if you had softish wheels, one even had a Wembley gap.

I could be wrong but I heard that the original plans had the spot filling the whole area, about 3 times the size it ended up, and that at the last minute it all got squeezed into that tiny space. Ended up pretty much unskateable, not enough room to get enough speed for the driveway, the flat bank and quarter were about all you could hit,…

1 Like

From the R.A.D. Insta:

Spot searching and sussing lines 1990. Simon Evans and crew repurposing suburbia. Biddick bank to wall, Washington, Tyne and Wear UK. :camera_flash: TLB

Looks fun. Anyone know if it’s still there?

2 Likes

Woah! Asking now…

1 Like

Where’s this? South coast somewhere? Don Brider in 1989.

2 Likes

Looks like Navigators to me (Southsea).

2 Likes

There were quite a few photos of Don on that bank.

2 Likes

Went to Portsmouth last week & as Scurbrampwoody has mentioned in this thread, some amazing buildings / spots around the Guild Hall / Library area - very City Hall NYC / Philly feel.

I’ve been looking for videos filmed around there but haven’t found much - there’s this Pulman part from 1999

& Cattle in 1994

Has anything been filmed on this?

Did find the last remaining piece of the Tricorn Centre mind…

Went to Southampton too but didn’t didn’t see much there, apart from Wyndham Court

2 Likes

Ilford?
We used to sit on there and drink beers before getting into The Island when we were about 15.
That club was sick. ha ha.

Weirdly, I was there a few weeks back and we went to peep this. I just don;t think anything is possible as the head clearance would need you to be about 18 inches tall for it to be skateable.

This is Portsmouth although I guess same design used in Ilford & others too - but yeah tight on the headroom

Is this The Island? Proper teenage indie club vibes! :grinning:

https://twitter.com/theislandilford?lang=en

EUxI0JJXQAA73ct

1 Like

‘Oasis to Blur’? Covering the whole world of ‘indie’ there, lads.

3 Likes

And presumably “Tricky to The Prodigy and beyond” means the Black Steel cover, Firestarter, and Born Slippy. Potentially all in a row.

3 Likes

Not even something random like wallie up the ledge and bank trick then off? I’m sure some creative shit could be done?

Even just reading those song titles activates some long buried memory of shit mid 90s indie club playlists that I hoped ecstasy consumption to far better music soon after had wiped away, I guess not, damn!

1 Like

Spent many a night in that place, probably with londonskater amongst others, smashed on £1 pints :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

ea03e4abd833f182f17e9a71e8b3ddd2e290b31c_2_379x500

I’ve sort of sessioned it a few times. It’s one of those things that initially looks promising. You stumble on it with a crew and everyone’s like ‘dope! That looks cool’. You start skating it and pretty quickly people drop out of trying things on it and within minutes it’s down to one guy - usually me - dicking about on it, achieving very little worth mentioning. It happens every time I’ve been there.

2 Likes

There were (are?) so many other spots in that same school.
Bingo used to film at Biddick all the time.
Rails into banks etc etc

2 Likes

Biddick school (where the Si Evans banks were) here

There’s a bit of footage of Harry and Urwin skating here in the System video too

2 Likes

Honestly, the setlist was incredible. And the same every week.
And then they’d have Napalm Death play out of the blue. Or, The Prodigy.

It was kinda nuts. But fun.

1 Like

Ah, this is the Ilford one. Sorry! Was getting my teenage drinking spots mixed up.

but yeah…shit spot to skate.

1 Like

teenage drinking spots / 90s indie clubs could be a good thread ha

Thursdays in Newcastle was all about Bulletproof at Madisons - the piss covered stair set leading up to it has been featured a few times & has lasted longer than the nightclub.

2 Likes