Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

:rofl:
Bette Davis’ eyes are quite strange tbh.
saw ‘All About Eve’ a little while ago, she’s sort of hypnotic

1 Like
5 Likes

Must be? That was the spot known as ‘Walking Man’ right? I fs flipped the stairs and 50-50d the flat bars. If that’s the place then Ches, John Winter, Baines and Tubb etc did loads of stuff there.

I broke my big toe there and it hurts more today than it did 30 years ago :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Here you go…this John Winter clip is filmed there.

1 Like

Ace - thank you! Will view tonight

If still around, this could’ve been interesting too…

0_The-Hole-In-The-Road-during-its-early-days-in-the-sixites

2 Likes

Enjoyed that, looking forward to more

On reading more about the Vaillancourt Fountain, never knew this:

On Nov. 11, 1987, during an impromptu concert held at Justin Herman Plaza, Bono, of the rock group U2, much to the chagrin of then-Mayor Dianne Feinstein, tagged the fountain in support of Vaillancourt.

Source: https://www.sfmta.com/blog/panoramas-and-public-art-vaillancourt-fountain

1 Like

That was still there the first year I got to Sheffield it was really weird, gave you dystopian movie feelings…one of those Clockwork Orange type of places. It was gone by the time I left.

My fondest memories were of the Sheffield Hallam Uni ledges. That spot was so sick.

1 Like

When I read her name I couldn’t help but hear it in Jello Biafra’s voice, haha. She was the successful candidate in the mayoral election when Jello too ran for mayor of SF (iirc). I guess that he must have slagged her off enough times for it to stick in my memory like that.

2 Likes

Part 2: Ted wanders round the corner from Embacadero and takes a look at Hubba Hideout and surrounding area.

9 Likes

Part 3: Bay blocks.

Short article which mentions the designers / architects of the blocks’ reaction to skaters using the spot to be found here.

4 Likes

I’d pay good money towards Ted continuing to do these, travelling the world.

5 Likes

wry interpretation of pigs ear.

i thought of this:
“make a pig’s ear of it” - to handle ineptly

doubly wry considering the people involved in the design arent hyped on it at all anymore.

p.s. Creager footage with lit blocks was

lit!

4 Likes

These are really good.
Big up all involved.

1 Like

I know it’s a BMX thing and it’s not concrete but wood, but if you were getting Action Bike / RAD at the time, or skating Meanwhile you’ll recognise these quarters. Either from the photos that were published, (I had some of them on my wall at points - they were bangers), or from when you passed by on the way to Meanwhile 2. You may have even skated them. I know I hit them up a couple of times. Came past in 88/89 and they’d gone. I haven’t really thought about them since. This won’t be of interest to the majority and maybe there’ll be zero takers but some of you guys might be into it.

3 Likes
3 Likes

ABP by @Chopper in the footy thread.

6 Likes

Feedback Ted dropping city management knowledge on Mostly

2 Likes

Goes without saying but these (this old ledge) are all top notch

3 Likes

Satanic panic around a spot in a Noguchi designed park.

More Noguchi x skateboarding here -

1 Like

very into architecture that mixes both skateboarding opportunity & satanism…

the Village Psychic newsletter has other good stuff in too, inc:

https://us17.campaign-archive.com/?u=b2ab10d8df14b324191c04400&id=75408cd9b4

2 Likes