Concrete Reality (architecture &/or skateboarding)

Even just reading those song titles activates some long buried memory of shit mid 90s indie club playlists that I hoped ecstasy consumption to far better music soon after had wiped away, I guess not, damn!

1 Like

Spent many a night in that place, probably with londonskater amongst others, smashed on £1 pints :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

ea03e4abd833f182f17e9a71e8b3ddd2e290b31c_2_379x500

I’ve sort of sessioned it a few times. It’s one of those things that initially looks promising. You stumble on it with a crew and everyone’s like ‘dope! That looks cool’. You start skating it and pretty quickly people drop out of trying things on it and within minutes it’s down to one guy - usually me - dicking about on it, achieving very little worth mentioning. It happens every time I’ve been there.

2 Likes

There were (are?) so many other spots in that same school.
Bingo used to film at Biddick all the time.
Rails into banks etc etc

2 Likes

Biddick school (where the Si Evans banks were) here

There’s a bit of footage of Harry and Urwin skating here in the System video too

2 Likes

Honestly, the setlist was incredible. And the same every week.
And then they’d have Napalm Death play out of the blue. Or, The Prodigy.

It was kinda nuts. But fun.

1 Like

Ah, this is the Ilford one. Sorry! Was getting my teenage drinking spots mixed up.

but yeah…shit spot to skate.

1 Like

teenage drinking spots / 90s indie clubs could be a good thread ha

Thursdays in Newcastle was all about Bulletproof at Madisons - the piss covered stair set leading up to it has been featured a few times & has lasted longer than the nightclub.

1 Like

I think this at Biddick too

There was a nightclub in Middlesborough in the shopping centre and you had to walk through it while closed at night, in the dark almost (really creepy, mannequins in shop windows and shit), then up a two or the three flights of stairs, where you’d opened the doors to an fairly large and always busy student hot spot. The Leo photo of Adam Soddart above for Sidewalk (was it a cover?) was the way you left the club, out of the back door, up those stairs and on to the top of a multi-storey carpark, which you then had to walk through and down to get on to the street! Not sure you could get away with that these days? A load of pissed up students on top of a multi-story at 3am with very little in the way of safety railings, ect! So that photo might look like it’s street level but it’s on top of a multi-story carpark.

3 Likes

That switch heel is so good, that double set is long as fuck and not to be sniffed at for even an Ollie.

1 Like

yeah it is.
gordon skrezka too

1 Like

sniffings the last thing you want to do at that spot unless you want your nostrils flooded with the pungent smell of piss and legal highs.

trying to think of what’s been done down that - ollie, bs 180?, sw heel, 360 flip, bs flip, i wanna say kickflip but i can’t remember who? maybe some other stuff i’m drawing an obvious blank on

1 Like

Is this the same one at 32 mins here?

Urwin nearly lands it but bails the flip. He did that after 5 years of skating :anguished:

3 Likes

yeah same spot, knew i was thinking of the flip from somewhere! cool to see stuff at the shields amphitheater too, heavily underrated spot imo.

1 Like

Yeah that’s it, I was there the day Mike Manzoori filmed it, Urwin was very close on the kickfiip but the surface covering of piss, vomit & whatever else meant it kept sliding out

3 Likes

This account has some amazing photos from Runcorn / Liverpool late 80s / early 90s

Birkenhead Docks…

Liverpool Courts

Echo building

3 Likes
1 Like

Just got these for my birthday.

4 Likes

Half a mile from my house too!!
Woodseats massive represent :slightly_smiling_face:

DigitalOcean Referral Badge