Conor Charleson’s slight inclination by Dan Magee

Yep, drop him a message on insta!

1 Like

So good! Liked that the Camberwell Submarine made an apperance
Drawings ace too, & soundtrack

Glad to see lots of contributing filmers because if Magee had taken up the face>feet>face zoom then the world has truly gone to shit.

Regardless, really enjoyed it. Andrew Allen mixed with some Fred Gall. Really good.

1 Like

Conor really does skate some fucking unskateable shit in this - the alley oop wallride that’s the penultimate trick is particularly unbelievable.

He gets Hockey boards I think but I dunno whether that’s direct or through a distro (Keen?).
As for the Andrew Allen comparisons - as a chunky lad myself I feel this is a bit glib really. Yes Allen does a lot of wallie/tight bank skating but he was initially famous for switch hubba/gap skating don’t forget.

Conor reminds me of himself.

11 Likes

Keen distro afaik.
Yup lean toward agreeing with you on the AA comparison.
If race and weight were taken out of the equation he’d probably be a lot more comparable to upstart Akwasí owusu- but as you say, Conor is very much in his own lane.

1 Like

Yeah he’s nothing like AA. Aside from a bit chubby.

1 Like

Yer he needs that shit direct.

Far too good for distro flow.

1 Like

I stayed at this house near LA about ten years ago and there was this guy who would come by most mornings to hang with mates we were staying with. He came by for a party, too.

Super nice geezer.

We would take off skating and he would always have other stuff to do. Never talked about skating. Just talked about music from the UK, fishing I think…and some other stuff.
About 10 days in, he finally came skating.
He took one push and I instantly realised who this “Andrew” was.

My actual first thought beyond that was letdown. He just isn’t that big. Like, you probably wouldn’t even notice it, if it wasn’t mentioned.

Gutted.

Conor is his own man. Love the curated way in which he approaches spots and they are so tough he has to work fucking hard to make it happen.

He deserves more than flow.

3 Likes

Pretty sure hockey poster it on their ig on release.

He was (is?) a teacher in inner-city London too, compared to that, front crooking straight walls must be piss easy

6 Likes

Not unless it was a story.
They haven’t posted anything since mid Sept

Despite the meltdowns I feel like Conor might be abit too happy and not broody enough for hockey.
Hate to perpetuate the slap quote, but could legitimately see him on Krooked, alongside Mike Anderson fucking about on the walls

I don’t think hockey story posted it. I had a snoop

3 Likes

Ya, was a story.

1 Like

Apologies for the rambling thought dump, but Magee posted a challenge on his Insta story to decipher some of the themes contained within the imagery of this part so here are some of my ideas.

A central theme seems to be ‘Egyptomania’ - the fad for all things ancient Egypt that gripped the fashionable classes in eighteenth and nineteenth century England.

Conor is pictured prominently in the Circle of Lebanon and exiting the Egyptian Avenue at Highgate Cemetary in West London. Lots of well-to-do members of Victorian society are buried on the west side of the cemetery, including lesbian novelist Radcliffe Hall who is in one of the tombs within the aforementioned Circle (although the east side of the cemetery is where Jeremy Beadle’s grave is and it would have been far funnier if they’d filmed Conor next to that instead).

Conor is also shown next to the Douce Mausoleum which is the pyramid structure that is in some churchyard in Hampshire. This one was new to me, but apparently it is the first British example of a pyramid being used to commemorate where someone is buried (not sure if that is demonstrably true). But it was directly inspired by the pyramids in Giza.

Most significantly, the graphic that appears on screen both at the start of the part and its end features two Sphinxes. These come from Crystal Palace park and were, I think, built when the Crystal Palace was moved there in the 1850s. The Palace housed the Great Exhibition which featured a Sphinx borrowed from the Louvre, and this is where the inspiration for building the Crystal Palace Sphinxes came from (I think).

The graphic also features a bust of the architect who designed the Palace and the park, Sir Joseph Paxton. This bust is in the park itself not too far from…

…what Google Maps dubs ‘Stonepenge’ - the collection of brutalist concrete monoliths that Conor shreds in this part (and some of his others!). Stonepenge was built much later than the Sphinxes and the rest of the park, and not by Paxton who was very dead by that point. They likely date from the 1950s when the nearby National Sports centre was built.

So why all the exoticised Egyptian stuff in this part? I think Magee is making a parallel between Conor’s ‘worship’ for the Stonepenge monoliths and the Victorian’s fetishisation of Egypt and its mysticism. Hence the illustration by @Gconroy of the Serious Adult character bowing down to one of the Stonepenge stones. Conor also skates some pyramid-like structures in this part and the metronome also fits with this motif, kind of. Not sure why the reoccurring graphic also features a ring of daisies. I guess you will also find them at the park?!

I could be totally wrong with all this. Would be interesting to hear the actual thinking behind it all. Magee also posted that there was a Welsh-themed Easter egg contained within the audio for the part. Haven’t worked that bit out at all.

13 Likes

I liked the skateboarding.

8 Likes

And not @Gconroy drawings?

Wanka

3 Likes

The only thing it can be is the tune that plays over the front rock at the end but it’s not ringing any bells to me…

I’m trying to convince myself it’s a bit of sosban fach

Edit: nah it’s not. I thought you could fit “dai bach y sowldiwr” to the tune but it’s not that.

Intriguing!

1 Like

We can all still see it though :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Joel Curtis won’t eat today thanks to @anon28148673

3 Likes

Innit man, Joel was my first ‘favourite’ British skateboarder.

Need to listen to his stuff, been meaning to for ages.

Had the half smile pro deck he had. I really miss Landscape, wish it had never gone. I would have ridden those boards forever.