Continually updated running thread

Maybe I should try some to see what all the hype is about, it would be annoying if really expensive shoes were loads quicker, though.

I’ve always bought Vomeros as they can usually be had for reasonable money and I’ve always found them comfy and they seem to last pretty well. They’re pretty similar to Pegasus, not even sure why both exist. Really liking these latest ones though.

I have recently started with a rotation, mostly just so I definitely have a dry pair in case it was raining the day before. Currently got these cheap Reeboks on the go that everyone seems to rate (managed to get them for £40 I think) and they do feel really good:

I’m pretty sure they are quicker for the super elite, but I suspect for the likes of me there are far too many other variables for them to make difference. Plus 4% of ‘pig slow’ doesn’t make that much difference in the scheme of things.

I might give those Reeboks ago, be good to mix things up a bit. Currently running an old pair of Pegasus 35s and newish 37s for when it’s nice out.

The Nike Next% and Alpha Fly’s are definitely quicker but not £200 quicker so they can stay on the shop shelf for me. They provide more spring due to the carbon plate and also reduce the fatigue on your legs. Studies say you will only get that 2-4% gain if you are using them over the longer distances at speed and you need to be running on your forefoot to get that spring… If you are a heel striker you are mugging yourself off. They are only last 3-500 miles as well.

I use the Hoka CarbonX for races which I picked up for £100 and it definitely feels more responsive than some of my daily plodding shoes. Those being other Hoka models and the good old Pegasus.

I have some of the Alphaflys but only use them for PB efforts.
I like the Tempo Next% for my daily runs, I went from Pegasus to Next% and really noticed the difference in the first few weeks, it was amazing, now I can’t go back.

I reckon I’m too much of a plodder to see any real difference, my times vary massively anyway (from reeeeeeeally slow to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally slow). Can totally see the benefit for others though.

Tbf I bought new wheels for my gravel bike the other month and noticed a massive difference, and even small changes to my MTB can throw me out.

1 Like

Ran my first sub 30 minute 5k since moving somewhere with (small) hills. Not fast at all, but it’s a milestone for me.

6 Likes

Nice! Just started again too, last week. 4k each lunchtime which takes me about 25 mins but is creeping down very slowly. I’ll be happy with 5k in 25 mins.

2 Likes

Either of you ever done or considered doing a Parkrun. Highly recommended.

Yeah did one a couple of years ago. They’re good but I have family stuff every Sat morn so can’t go. Will do eventually though.

1 Like

Sub hour 10k and 25 minute 5k are the next aims. Just gonna keep slugging away.

Never done a park run, I do kinda like the idea but it’s tricky to fit in with family and stuff. Plus - to be totally honest - I really like running by myself. It’s a good bit of headspace.

1 Like

I’ve always felt the same but this year I’ve decided I’m going to do some more organised things, some trail/fell running I think. I run most days on my own so it’ll be good to mix it up with some company every now and then.

1 Like

Mate you need to give Fleetwood Parkrun a whirl, it’s your turf! Deffo get on the trail running. You love your walks so I bet you will be buzzing off the running. You can not go wrong running where you camped up Langdales or near me up Clougha Pike etc. If you need help with any route/gear advice please shout up.

Cheers man, I might just do that. I’ve got some shoes and a jacket but that’s about it so far for specific trail running kit.

That’s all the kit you need for low altitude stuff. I hope you get the bug!!

Any of you running nerds ever do 2 or 3 runs in a day?

I’ve got a nice 3km run round the park by my house, I do it in the morning but sometimes I fancy doing it at lunch and after work to break the day up a bit. Will I knacker myself if I go 3x a day every weekday?

1 Like

Probably. At least until you get accustomed to it. Not to say you shouldnt just listen to your body and take it easy if you feel fucked

1 Like

I used to run to and from work once or twice a week back when I was running seriously. 8k each way. Would do the morning run at a decent tempo and the run home super easy. I was doing a lot of miles per week back then so it didn’t seem too knackering in the grand scheme of things.

Two runs a day is a really good way to get stronger, but I would vary the type of run, like morning intervals, tempo or fartlek and afternoon slow and easy.

2 Likes

Good way to keep your metabolism high all day and burn calories but watch out for injuries as there’s not much time to recover

1 Like

Cheers lads, I’ll give it a go and ease in. I also do a HIIT session most days too, so if my legs ever feel creaky I’ll just swap a run for some other sort of stuff.

I’m training to fight BDF.

napoleon-dynamite-napoleon

1 Like