Continually updated running thread

Just donated. Best of luck.

thanks a lot!

How did it go?

It went well, not done a big run like this before with so many people haha.
I wasn’t prepared for how hilly it was though and I was ruined from 19KM on but just chugged along and had enough in the tank for a sprint in the last 200m.

My official time was 1hr30mins34 seconds, stoked. About 4:17/km
Strava info: 21.2 km Run Activity on September 12, 2021 by Sam T. on Strava
825th out of about 50,000.
Next time I’m definitely doing more elevation training.
Also, raised £1,101 for The Ben Raemers Foundation, thanks everyone for your donations!

10 Likes

Well done - that’s an incredible effort! I can’t get to 4:17/km average on a 5km!

ha thanks man! Legs are feeling it today, brittle as fuck.

Does anyone here monitor their heart rate?
According to my watch I’m at or above max heart rate (177 for me) within like 10 mins of a steady jog. I can’t get a straight answer off the web about how dangerous it is but common sense tells me that carrying on running when your heart is maxed out isn’t a good idea. Some say stop immediately and others say don’t worry, you’ll just slow down/stop/puke naturally anyway.
How do you ever get fitter if your heart won’t let you run more than a few minutes at a time??

Run slower.

What watch are you using? Wrist based monitors are notoriously unreliable at higher rates (think mine underreads, I need to dig out the strap I have somewhere and try that some time) but they can go both ways. Where you wear it and how tight it is can make a difference too.

How are you feeling when you run? If you feel fine then I wouldn’t worry - if you’re feeling like your heart is coming out your ears then obvs more of an issue.

How long have you been running? It can take your body a while to adjust.

I got a Garmin running watch with built in training stuff recently, and it’s got me running really slowly, which has helped me up distance with less fatigue - so I cans start to build up some pace again.

Wrist based heart rate monitors are a load of bollocks. Purely a selling point that needs a lot more development… The only way to get an accurate reading is to use a chest strap that connects to watch via Bluetooth.

I’m already at 5-6mph. Slower would be walking.

Apple Series 4. I’d read that their monitor was one of the best?

Tired but not ready to drop dead. I’m 15 stone so never going to be floating like Mo.

About 15 years. Have done a couple of 5hr marathons a few years back so very average.

Can you recommend any?

Thanks

Can I ask why you are tracking heart rate? I personally wouldn’t worry about it and run more on feel and try and enjoy it. Don’t worry about pace… just do slow steady runs at a distance that doesn’t break you as injury will creep in… Don’t ever forget to stretch afterwards either, your body will thank you for it big time… As for chest straps I don’t use one (I don’t track heart rate) but the people I know who do use Wahoo or Garmin.

I’ve had some weird stuff happen with my heart a few times which the hospital haven’t been able to diagnose but which I can feel from time to time. Arrhythmia, dizziness, stuff like that. I’m just paranoid about dropping dead one day from an undiagnosed heart condition so figure safest thing is stay well in normal range of 50-75% max rate

1 Like

Yeah that’s fair enough mate. I would suggest checking some chest strap reviews out via Google and YouTube and see what is best for you. Let us know how you get on.

I’d say running a marathon at any pace is above average tbh, most people would shit at the idea of running a mile.

I’d second what @Nozzleboy says though, probs best to run to feel but a strap (will one connect to an Apple watch?) is likely to be much more accurate. Wrist based tracking has all sorts of potential issues - you might find it’s spot on, it might be miles out.

2 Likes

I watched the first half an hour of finishers at a marathon today. I’d say they were about 80-90% wearing those super pricey Nikes with the weird horn sticking out the heel. Are these the new hot shit everyone is going for?

They look like those wacky Fila basketball shoes from the 90s. They had that big rolling heel thing going on too.

Tbf the bog standard Pegasus have the horn thing off the heel, have for a few years I think. Don’t have all the midsole madness obvs, and not to the same level.

1 Like

Yeah most running shoes seem to feature a bit of that to some extent or other. I think £80 is a lot and prefer to pay much less but it’s gone mad with these “super shoes” lately. It’s getting like lots of people are with bicycles. They’ve managed to get so many non-elite runners spending well over £200 for some running shoes. As though shoes are anything more than 0.005% of the reason why they aren’t as fast as Kipchoge or someone.

Weren’t the original Vaporflys called the 4% because that was the difference they could make to an elite marathon time or something? Probably not that important for Bob from accounts, but a pretty amazing difference to Eliud Kipchoge…

I run in Pegasus (or I do when I’m not full of shitcold) cos they seem to suit my feet and it saves faffing trying on something different. Usually pick them up for under sixty quid in the sales.