Crossword Thread

I’ll give it a watch soon enough - I like Repair Shop (& Dom’s YouTube channel).

Sorry for the thread hijack. Back to crosswords…

Haven’t cheated at all in the quick cryptic today but I’m totally stuck on the last 3.

Help.

Small cars fit middle Eastern folks (6)
_ A _ D _ S

Can’t stop seeing anything but pandas.

Celebrate sushi finally for being in a list (7)
R _ I _ _ _ R

Reverse stylish vehicles (5)
_ _ A _ S

Trams?

1 Like

Smart backwards.

3 Likes

SAUDIS

3 Likes

ROISTER
(last letter of sushi in roster)

1 Like

Never heard of it.

Amazing! Cheers! All done.

It’s hard with cryptics. You need to be in the zone. I had an amazing run on the Guardian one where I finished it every day for about a month; then I got stuck on one and totally lost my mojo.

The Everyman in the Observer is good because it’s not as wilfully obscure as some of the Guardian setters.

1 Like

Loved this clue in today’s Guardian:

Pop wants gradually to remove Thatcher at the beginning, that prickly character (3,5-6)

Can we have some letters please Bob?

MRS T IGGY WINKLE

That was all the letters!

You had 5 days.

But I only saw it 5 mins ago looking for the news thread. :grinning:

I wouldn’t have got that with letters either to be fair. Can’t work it out after seeing the answer!

It helped that I’m a big Beatrix Potter fan.

MRs T(Hatcher) IGGY Pop (singer with the Stooges) WINKLE - to remove slowly = prickly character

1 Like

This is why I’ll never make to the crossword big leagues. I feel its cheating to put Pop at the start of the clue because that feels out of order. I never would’ve got the winkle bit either!

Count me down as not a Beatrix Potter fan. My son got given the complete collection the other day and the stories are just mental (seen through our modern eyes). They’re so bad they’re quite funny.

She can do no wrong in my book.

Squirrel Nutkin is truly mental and the Roly Poly Pudding is absolutely terrifying.

This is absolutely fucked up mental. There must be a single digit amount of people who could do this

mad

1 Like