crowd funder for indoor skatepark in East London (walthamstow)

hi everyone, there was a post a while ago about a petition for indoor skatepark in walthamstow. the project has moved on a bit and a location has been found, we have supporting letters from the council members and now a crowd funder is live. The main organiser is Everyone on Boards, a community organisation focusing on getting as many people from as many different communities onto skateboards as possible, because there are so many physical, mental, cultural etc benefits

it has a very big total (£110,000 in 80 days) but part of the plan is to get matched funding for half of it from various Mayor of London funding sources. It has been open for 2 days and is at 11% so it has had a good start, we really want to get another 30 backers (for any amount of £) this week before we alert the mayors advisors so they can see it has momentum and piques their interest.

we are working on the wider comms plan and i will do some updates but i wanted to flag it on here early doors in case anyone is able to support with even £5 but mainly i would ask you to spread the word and share the link so we get the momentum building. Obviously if you can donate £10 or £20 or more that would be amazing. (if the project does not reach its target then your money does not get taken)

any brands on here who might like to get more involved (eg being a more formal sponsor) please DM me - part of the longer term plan is to do events, have retail / food units etc. Likewise anyone else who wants to get more involved please let me know.

for more info follow @everyone_on_boards on Insta or their website www.everyoneonboards.com

Thanks,

1 Like

just to add in case it helps - the location is 10 minutes walk from blackhorse road tube (so actually quite close to tottenham) and is very close to four different craft breweries

Hi there i found that message about getting found for indoor skatepark, can you please give me some advice /help where to start and what shall i do .i would like to open indoor skatepark in my town , and the thing is we don’t have any indoor skatepark.
Regards Paweł

Best thing to do is speak to your local council and see what they can do to help , there is very little money to be made having an indoor skatepark and the cost of rent , businesses rates , energy, staffing and skatepark insurance will be huge .

There will probably be buildings waiting on being redeveloped that the council could use as a space - Like Pitt street skate park in Portsmouth that is an old supermarket waiting to be redeveloped.

@jimo is the best person to speak to as he has spit and sawdust skatepark in Cardiff

1 Like

I’ve been involved since the start but I take no credit for its success that’s 100% down to the passion of Christian Hart and the team who run it.

I think you need a sympathetic landlord, a strong connection to a local shop or scene, some form of council or government support (grants, rate cuts, tax breaks etc), and a plan to create an inclusive community around the park in the form of events and scheduling.

You’re also gonna need a passion person who can be there day in day out even when it’s sunny every day and all your mates are out skating curbs :sweat_smile:

Also make sure you do your maths before setting up. Smaller skateparks might seem appealing but it can be hard to get the numbers to work…if 8-10 people is packed out and you charge £5 an hour you max out at £50 an hour revenue. Pay someone to sit at the desk, rent, rates, energy…not much left!

2 Likes

To add, why not try contacting your local shop as a start. If you have one. If not, speaking to the nearest indoor skatepark isn’t a bad idea, though reaction could be very variable :laughing:

Also skateboardGB should be able to offer useful advice.

Have you spoken to anyone at https://www.instagram.com/everyone_on_boards?igsh=MW1sYTI2Z2Y3ZXlzcg== ?

They are in East London/walthamstow and were looking for a warehouse/space for a park