Equipment Thread

@dontcomply Nice one mate!

@nazoreth Makes no difference really. I recently skated shaped boards on which I did quite serious grip jobs (stickers and a drawing) and realized that you don’t think about that while skating, you just skate.

1 Like

See… Once you’re skating, you adjust your feet on your board naturally, without looking at them really. I know where they have to go if I want to do a nollie flip or a half cab.

about an hour give or take, not really that hard to do just a bit time consuming especially cutting in the waves and the griptapes folding in on itself since it’s been bound in a roll. some people think it’s fruitless/a waste of time but for me i feel like if you pay however much for a deck and you’re gonna be skating it for a month, two months etc why not have something you like looking at. heres another heroin one from last year, ended up going back and replacing the blocky parts of grip with more stripes and other shit but i didnt get a pic

I actually proper love that, and I’m not usually a fan of anything other than plain black grip. Tempted to do something for my next deck, though I skate so little beyond cruising at the moment that could be years from now :wink:

1 Like

I love setting up a fresh deck and I don’t mind spending time on a grip job at all. Get a cup of tea or a beer, play a good record and have fun doing that. It’s good for the mood.

1 Like

i got sent a free clear grip tape a while back and it’s just sat there. i like the weird toy machine logo on the grip side of my decks but not enough to actually want to see it. i have that terrible habit of constantly adjusting my feet for flip tricks and if there was something to aim at on the deck i’d be 100 times worse

Sorry for the completely newbie question, but I really need some help picking the right trucks. I’ve always rolled Thunders, and since getting back into skating, the 8 inch deck ifeels way too skinny for me now. I’m looking to skate an 8.5, but I want to know which size to get - Thunders website says 149’s, but Black Sheep and various other shops say a pair of 149’s should fit 8.2 to 8.4…

Can any of you help me out here?

Ran 149s on 8.5s for years

if you skate thunders dont bother with them…they’ll die super quick because theyre the wrong size for the trucks geometry. went through a few sets in a short amount of time and a lot of googling to work that one out.

1 Like

Same here, but with Indy. Bones bushings turn great, but they just don’t last.

I always put Bones Yellows in my Thunder trucks and have been for the last 5 years. Work fine for me… thy outlast the trucks most of the time!

1 Like

I guess trucks just come with the right rubber for my style of looseness, never needed to change any, ever. Not counting early days when you had to use what you could find, afford.

think we had this bushing discussion earlier in the thread. me and someone else hate bones bushings because they don’t last. everyone else swears by them

they’re not right for all trucks but seem to work fairly well in the majority

This is the best combo.

probably me, had the blues and they were dust in less than a month

1 Like

Thanks bud. I’ll go with 149’s

IN for bones bushings on thunders

fair play. ive had the total opposite experience myself, maybe its because we’re skating different thunders or something. ive got titanium lights, you skate those? Could go into why they fail but if yours have lasted more than a few weeks then there’s no need to i guess :slight_smile:

whattttt! i think i must be living in some other reality because the thunder/bones combo completely did not work for me at all! the yellow washers snapped over the baseplate, the rubber sunk in…dog poop! tried 3 sets in a row too, and i skate trucks as loose as they will go. so i gave up and switched to regular thunder bushings and they feel perfect! still on the same set.

a thunder bottom bushing is taller than a bones bottom bushing, hence the change in geometry, bones are too short for my trucks design.

big supporter of bones in indy’s though! actually skated that combo religiously for many years until i went to thunder (titanium lights) and had the shitty experience.