Gone Skateboarding?

haha yeah he did say stukeley was awful but sometimes good for a laugh to be fair

1 Like

Marcus shreds! Nice guy too he came and skated a comp we held a few years back.

I went out briefly this morning and did the ultimate dad trick.

6 Likes

what is that trick actually called? is that a sweeper or is that something completely different? it looks really fun!

Sweeper

1 Like

it combines all the things i’ve generally been against in skateboarding - transition and touching the board with my hand. it’s a brave new world, i must overcome my prejudices

1 Like

Haha it’s a must over 40 :laughing:

ahhh i’m getting close to that age which is clearly why i’m feeling the need to do it :sweat_smile: :rofl:

1 Like

Do it, but don’t learn it too early. It can easily distract you from worthwhile progression. I learned it in my early 30s and before I knew what was happening I was riding retro shaped decks and forgot how to kickflip. Took a while to come back from that so approach with caution.

1 Like

I figure learn everything your body is capable of, even if it’s a trick you’d never showcase publicly - no better feeling than landing something new (well, apart from a perfectly held mayday) and you never know how a tiny facet of a mosher trick might improve your understanding/enjoyment somewhere else.

I remember reading Tom Penny only became “all that” when he got into mini ramp and really started to understand his board, so there’s probs summat in it.

Think in the two years I’ve been back skating I’ve focused maybe too much on slappy grinds and no complies, shuvits. Went out yesterday and challenged myself to ollie over a piece of wood about 3 or 4 inches high which is a challenge for me haha. Managed it a few times and it was more satisfying than my normal skating. At the age of 36 getting a nice floaty ollie is going to be difficult but that’s my aim, try higher and higher obstacles.

3 Likes

That’s a really good idea. It’s always worth trying to hold onto the ability to crack a decent ollie.

2 Likes

i grew up in west london in the 90s skating car parks and only watching a handful of skate videos. no one ever touched their boards and there was very little transition. i am the byproduct of that stupidity

seriously though, i’m not against learning anything. i love how you learn something in skating and suddenly it makes something that isn’t even remotely related easier. my issue is more a lack of time really. i can generally get about an hour a day to skate and i spend most of that time trying not to lose tricks that i spent years learning :sweat_smile:

i know @franc and someone else were talking about this on here a few years back but learning to skate switch for me is one of the most rewarding things mentally. every single thing is such a battle. i find i have to pay attention to tiny details like where my shoulders line up which i don’t remember doing in my normal stance

Ah, fairs, I was never exposed to that kind of cool. Small village life meant I grew up like a shit Andy Anderson, wanting to learn everything from freestyle to transition. Then I got old and pretty much lost the ability to flip by fucking my right leg. Che sarà, sarà!

1 Like

I grew up in the sticks and wanted to skate like Danny Way, Mike Carroll and Rodney Mullen at the same time. Tom Penny saved me.

3 Likes

I was always beyond redemption.

Though working on the periphery of the industry and getting mocked for being a mosher tempered my stinkiness somewhat.

1 Like

Yes. I learnt pressure flips, late shove-its and impossibles when they were 600% illegal. I didn’t give a shit, they were fun to do.

I love maydays but landing something new is the best feeling.

Absolutely. You get more board control and that’s exactly what you need if you want to progress.

2 Likes

will be in skeggy at least once a month for the forseeable if anyone’s around that way for a skate

My life is a game of two halves. Skating this curb and thinking about this curb.

I haven’t done one of these for a while, not very long but that’s fine it was early and I’m quite elderly.

15 Likes

I need this curb in my life.

2 Likes

Same. I wouldn’t even need to skate it to enjoy it either - I’d just stand next to it enjoying the sound it produces when someone else skates it.

3 Likes