I made an interactive database for skate videos

See it more as being nominated for your fantastically well rounded UK knowledge!
@sk8arrog8 would be solid, too.

I’d be down to help, to be honest…just a bit slammed with stuff currently.

This old (now out of date) sheet which a bunch of folks on here put together would be useful: U.K. Skate Video Archiving - Google Sheets

1 Like

Fuck it I’ll help

Just been browsing this and I can’t see how you upload videos or tag things? Is it only the invited videographers who get to do the ‘curated by’ lists? If that is the case, why on earth did you invite the Hop King filmer?! He’s not really on a level with R.B. Umali etc.

Edit: just seen the ‘Become a curator’ button.

Can we upload videos or do you (@josh) control which videos get on the website?

1 Like

If anyone would like the ability to add videos, build profiles, and Clip Map, shoot me an email at josh@skatefol.io!

Would love to get you all involved! Just want to have quick one on one chats before giving people access to the tools.

I could put an hour or two a week into this. I think I know a lot of the parts of some of the more modern UK skaters. My knowledge is more the last 5-10 years as when I skated when younger youtube wasn’t around and as I had such a big gap from when I gave up my memory isn’t great.

Seems like it could be a really good resource so happy to help. Will send an email tomorrow.

Ok, I just submitted on the curator thing.
I guess it makes it less than simple to do to keep people from spamming…but it’s kind of clunky.

Lets see.

Excellent curation. Just posted.

We’ll be improving the curation workflow over time, since it’s still clunky.

Heads up. Skatefolio went live this morning.

Appreciate everyone from the forum who reached out to help while we were in beta.

2 Likes

It is pretty cool, bit glitchy in parts but I’m sure you will work on it.

I entered ‘Natas’ and you have three video parts listed with the wrong dates on them and no ‘Wheels of Fire’. I tried to search ‘Wheels of Fire’ but the search doesn’t allow you to enter text searches it only seems to bring up pre-determined matches?

Appreciate Natas is old and irrelevant :laughing:

Yeah, it seems to pull the dates from when the YouTube video was uploaded. So, things like MFWTCB came up as 2020…It would be good if that date could be overridden by the person posting.

I also tried to search for videos and it gave me no results whatssoever.

1 Like

Also, is there anyway to get the videos to open on the YouTube site rather than having to play them as embedded videos on Skatefolio? There might be a filmer you discover who you want to subscribe to, but it seems impossible to navigate to their YouTube channel from the Skatefolio website.

1 Like

A subscribe button on the skatefol.io site for the account hosting the video you are looking at would be so good.

1 Like

Dates + titles are currently pulled from YouTube, but we’re adding the ability to edit these shortly. We’re also working on fullscreen mode among dozens of other features. If there’s anything else you’d like to see, let me know.

Search only pulls up what’s in our database and there’s still plenty to add. Wheels of Fire has been added.

2 Likes

skaters + filmmakers can add their website and Instagrams in their bios. As for opening the precise video on YouTube, not right now.

1 Like

We’re stoked on this idea. Adding to our list of future builds.

1 Like

Nice one, @josh - really liking the fact you are engaging with the end user. Pretty cool. Often overlooked.

1 Like

Sounds like you need a product manager!

Came back to try this and my new peeve is that you have blocked outgoing links to YouTube. So if I watch a vid and want to see the comments I have to leave the website and go to YouTube to search up the video.

How’s it going? Are you getting many users?

1 Like

For now, this is blocked to make for a better watching + Clip Mapping experience with less distractions, but I hear that.

It’s been really exciting. We’ve got a lot of new users who are passionately Clip Mapping on a regular basis. We’re also about to launch an exciting SOTY campaign where you can watch all the contenders’ entire year of footage, Clip Mapped, alongside the excellent data this has produced.

5 Likes

Good idea that sounds sick. Give us a heads up when it’s live!