I’ve got a fat back...

I do the intermittent fasting thing. I’m a wanker and don’t do it very well, I basically eat whatever I want between noon and 8pm. It’s pretty easy. I lost 5 kilos quickly doing that. I skate 2 to 3 times a week when the weather is half decent. I still drink too much alcohol. I’d probably lose more weight if I quit eating and drinking sugar too.

cutting back on the booze totally worked for me - lost a stone.

that cycle of beer/wine (usually with crisps), all loaded with calories - followed by emergency kfcs, mcds, more crisps, toast, samosas etc the next day soon catches up with you.

i found the hankering for junk food soon disappears, almost immediately, when youre not drunk or hungover

2 Likes

I tend to yo-yo like fuck. Not massively and Ive never been proper ‘fat’ but tend to bounce from 11-13 stone. I’ve tried fasting but it never seems to work, I end up feeling so hungry that I feel weak then go mental on crisps/sweets/McDonald’s/general shit.
The key for me is exercise. Climbing wall, gym, skating and lots of it. Ideally something, no matter how little, every day.
It’s hard to balance it with a wife and 6 year old at home but I don’t ever want to be one of those old, sweaty, fat fuckers doing frontside slash grinds on a 3’ mini for the rest of my life (not that there’s anything wrong with that lol).

I have a lot of mates who are into running/ fell running but I’ve tried it a few times and just can’t get much enjoyment out if it. Cycling looks enjoyable but I know ill end up wanting to spend £1000s on it and whenever I’m on a bike I can’t get rid of the fear that some cunt will run me over.

1 Like

Pretty much what’s already been posted: No alcohol, aside from the actual calorific value contained in the drink itself you’ll find yourself making bad choices about what to eat and the hangover means the same, no pop, no processed foods, avoid diet foods (artificial sweeteners are the devil), the fasting thing works for some but I know a load of fatties who do it and all it does is set your body into starvation mode and so whatever you eat gets stored for later. Just try and fuel yourself for the time between regularly timed meals. Try not to eat at a time too close to going to bed. Keep portion sizes down as people tend to eat too much every meal - you don’t ever need to feel ‘stuffed’. Don’t have cheat days they just mean you haven’t changed your thinking about food. After a while the craving for crap will go and you’ll start to enjoy the healthier stuff. Sleeping at a regular time helps.

Go to bed earlier and get up earlier. I’m up before 5am everyday and it gives me more time to fit in exercise and it means I’m tired in the evening so I’ll go to bed and sleep rather than sit up eating in front of the tv or whatever. Have a regular, habitual routine for exercise, meals and sleep and you will find yourself doing without thinking about it after some time.

If you feel hungry or tired during the day, drink a glass of water and have a handful of nuts or a piece of fruit - but watch the fruit intake - and some push ups or similar. You’ll find your energy levels get back up and your hunger will dissipate.

Any time someone says bad back I’ll always say chiropractor, but that’s a separate subject. Suitable stretching may well sort things.

As for the type of exercise, it depends on your back I guess. I do yoga, callisthenics, some small weights/resistance bands/kettle bell stuff, spin bike, run with a weighted pack on sand and shingle, sea swim, cycle daily. If I get time I’ll skate for a couple of hours. I admit that I’m flexible when it comes finding time to do this lot as it amounts to at least 3 hours a day but I consider to be essential and have been doing it for so long that it’s just part of the day. Oh, and there are a couple of 4 mile(ish) dog walks in there too.

I had a really messed up back a few years ago. I had been doing physical work and sailing a lot and was 15 1/4st, not fat at all but built like the proverbial outhouse. As soon as I was unable to move for months that weight soon became a problem. My weight depends on what I’m doing lifestyle wise but I sit between 11 1/2 and 12st and am 6ft 1’’ it’s easier on my joints to stay at this weight. When my weight increases it’s only muscle
mass though because of the way I eat. Sorry, gone off on a tangent.

Sounds like most people are on the same page with the advice though. Good luck.

2 Likes

@Scurbrampwoody can you be my online trainer please? Haha

Sorry, don’t have time, what with all the exercise and cooking and such :joy:

1 Like

Like other people have said, the primary goal shouldn’t be to look better. In no particular order, health, vitality, peace of mind, longevity and quality of life should feature highly in the reasons for doing it. The looking better will come as a result and is obviously a desirable bonus.
Not being down on yourself is important. Try not to compare yourself with others. Set realistic goals for yourself and work towards them. Every little bit you do is a step in the right direction. Even if you don’t see a direct result keep doing what you’re doing and you’ll get there. All the cliched adages ring true - every day in every way I get better, Rome wasn’t built in a day, every great journey starts with the first step, healthy body-healthy mind…and all the other patronising sounding stuff :wink: but if you bear these sort of things in mind it helps.

4 Likes