Jake Phelps RIP

Some cool footage of Phelps in this.

and this…

That BTO piece is perfect

Cant say I was a fan especially after he’s trip to London and the spitting on kids incident,bloody good skateboarder in his day though.

Great Phelps obituary for the NYT. Written by Willy Staley, the same writer of the Phelps profile for California Sunday three years ago.

1 Like

That NYT piece was really good.

My brother converted some old VHS tapes of Board Stupid, the snowboarding programme presented by Normski. This features Jake Phelps snowboarding.

5 Likes

The opening few seconds of Jake explaining to a room full of snowboarders that the terms ‘frontside air’ and ‘Indy’ are not interchangeable made me smile.

3 Likes

“What do you think about Switzerland?”

“It smells like dung around here”

2 Likes

Just sent this to Phil (Young) lolz at the amount of hair he has in this.

1 Like

Additional tale via above communication.

“We skated full pipes together that day then Phelps got drunk and pissed himself on the couch. The producer kicked him out at that point” :joy::joy:

7 Likes

“You can go much faster on a snowboard”
“Oh yeah? Tried luging? You’re talking outta your ass buddy”

2 Likes

I always feel like there are a lot of parallels between Phelps and Bukowski.

Theyre both figureheads of movements (Beat poets/Hellride), were undeniably good at what they did, people that never met them put them on a pedestal and they look like theyd be absolutely horrendous to hang out with for anything more than 2 minutes

1 Like

Bukowski was way better at poetry though, let’s face it

2 Likes

Phelps lost a bet with @Brewer that he couldn’t do a nollie flip in the pub whilst holding a full pint. To be fair to Brewer, he nailed it and didn’t spill a drop. Phelps never paid up.

This may or may not have happened - my memory of that evening is very hazy!

2 Likes

What a bastard

He got fully bollocked by a female local for smashing a beer bottle at stockwell, I wasn’t there unfortunately

Edit - WKD blue bottle, ha

1 Like

Close. It was with Ben Blake who bet I couldn’t do it, Phelps backed me to do it. Ben never paid up to me or Phelps. I’ll have to remind him at next weeks five a side.

I don’t even remember Ben being there haha! Like I said - very hazy!

Add his debt onto his subs for Goals next week!