Jeremy Wray - the most underrated street skater of all time?

This beast in one of his later parts used to blow my mind too, is it from the start of an Element video part maybe?

One of my first videos was the 411 anniversary edition with all the highlights over the years so weirdly enough this was one of the first skate sections i ever watched and loved, even though i started in 2003/2004:

I remember thinking his skin looked so weird haha

Wray is one of the reasons I love big steezey flip tricks so much, second smoke premier was an awakening for me as someone who just got into skateboarding.
I was hooked on his huge tricks , fsf’s tre’a and his 360’s.
Then penny came along and wray was shelved for me.

But wray is still way up on game changers in 90’s skating

That 180 at Tarragona is insane. I wanted to film a manual trick then some flip trick down the stairs for our little scene video, didn’t get around to doing it then saw this trick straight after and thought, well, no point now. It didn’t even occur to me that someone would boost over the whole thing.

I was, and his parts are incredible, but I’m just saying I think if he had a part that came out at the peak of skateboardings popularity he would have cemented himself as one of the greatest, both of those videos came out when skating was nowhere near as popular, so I think the following generation can be forgiven for not having his name on their lips.

His Love Park fountain almost 360 was a thing of beauty for something that wasn’t a make, I really, really wanted to see a clean one! And that triple set ollie was on my wall for years.

He was banned from Thrasher for a few years after he rode for Color.

Sick skater.

Yeah a whole part of that calibre would have been insane! But if you think of say Stevie Williams you think of The Reason, when you think of Jeremy Wray you think of individual tricks, I’m just saying if he’d have had that one big video part maybe he’d have been talked about more.

1 Like

depends on your age. I think Second hand smoke and so would everyone else that skated at that time, but I guess we’ll all soon be dead and Jeremy’s legacy will be forgotten. Might be why Jenkem did the watertower thing to make younguns go back and take notice.

Not sure how young you are talking. But wasn’t the water tower ollie in THPS etc. Maybe I think I’m younger then I actually am. I can remember his shoe on adio etc

1 Like

People could easily well into their 30s if they got into skating from THPS

Yeh im 30 this year. I guess the things I remember from when I really got into skateboarding are almost 20 years old now. Early 2000s onwards

Yeah man, it’s fucking freaky. Millenium felt like 5 minuntes ago.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqTjoShhLgx/?utm_source=ig_embed

1 Like

The grass gap in the colour vid is one of my fave clips in the history of skateboarding. So mental even now, and the kids reaction makes it an all time classic.

That kickflip down that massive doubleset as well.

Assuming that was because of Rich Metiver industry beef, right?

The Weekend Buzz he did with Jonas was great.
The idea that if you could ollie something, you could flip it, was where I got to, obviously not on that scale.
Jeremy Wray holds high rank among those who have been the best to do it.
He’s obviously very highly respected throughout the industry and the scene.
Underrated doesn’t seem quite the right word.

That’s top five tricks of all time for me. Shocking! especially when he’s rocketting most of his kickflips on everything else.

I never had a great ollie so I could definitely flip anything I could ollie so I agree with him.
Actually thinking about that, it excludes up some things and never had the balls to do big big drops ha. Scratch all that previous.

I think he’s a skaters skater not an industry skater. Not that marketable, has his own ideas so I guess companies were not that bothered but skaters have no agenda so he was definitely highly regarded.

Correct. He goes into the ins and outs of it here:

When his nine club came out it made me really annoyed at element for shutting down his career. Then I forgot about it. Now I’m annoyed again. Stupid element

1 Like