That was his version of events at 1:21:28.
Yeah you’re probably right, but it’s still nice to see.
Re. The adidas thing, it seemed like Mike made what was probably bad professional communication by various parties into something very personal. It soured me on Carroll.
Anyway, it probably doesn’t matter anymore.
Not going to link to that shit rag, but the news has also made it onto the Sun’s website which I think proves your point. How many skaters, or people who know who MJ is, read the Sun?!
New York post has it too.
Literally just syndicated slop. Looking over the guardian article, it just wraps some extra text around Louie’s statement issued by thrasher. Would be about 5 minutes of work to create a prompt that would be able to do that for any kind of statement post like Thrashers.
Guess they’re just aiming to get their social posts for it into people’s feeds. Can’t imagine it has much seo benefit.
I think it’s more a grab for for journalistic resonance to connect with audiences. Sadly.
The people that really know will be feeling it but at least it shares the name around to cement it in the small collection of people who’s name have trancended into the wider world’s knowledge.
If he’s looking from wherever he is, he’ll realise that he didn’t really blow it like he probably thinks he did. He’s always going to be held up as one of the greatest regardless of anyones minor gripes about anything he’s done or said. It matters none.
His footage will live forever.
Sounds like Mike Carroll’s a lil bitch
To me, it sounded like Carrol/lakai was doing an MJ shoe of some sort and Carrol wanted MJ and adidas to wait until they could at least offload or rejig a plan but then adidas just dropped the clip. Carrol was pissed and said some shit, they fell out. Was shit on MJ’s part for lack of communication and secrecy but also probably excitement and needing to be hush. Shit on adidas’ part for not having respect for former sponsors and just ploughing on with their schedule. Shit on Carrol’s part for whatever transpired in the fallout. None of this matters now, none of these parties should be lambasted for it. It’s how situations go and the result has resulted in the way it turned out and can’t be changed.
I don’t think carroll is a bad apple. I understand his viewpoint if I was sitting on a new release that I had time and money invested in, and a competitor pulled the rug from under it. As said already, I think adidas could have handled things better.
It seems to me carroll is pretty happy these days with his little kid and no more lakai.
I want to agree with you but it’s tricky, especially when Louie Barletta brought up the Away Days premiere and how things went downhill for MJ after that in his tribute to him on that Thrasher post. It’s natural to want to consider why things went the way they did for him and maybe if something could even be learned from it all. Carroll made some controversial moves in his time after all. Some of the comments Carroll and crailtap have received seem pretty unfair to me though, it’s not a good side of social media that’s for sure.
On the other hand, it’s probably more important to recognise his talent and contribution and focus on that.
Yer fair point.
I didn’t blame Mike Carroll.
Just remembered the dream I had about Marc last year ![]()
Feel like I’m spamming this thread a bit so will chill (got the ‘you’ve posted a lot in this topic’ pop up lol), but just got recommended these so had to share.
nah, spam all the good stuff. Would be cool to have all his parts in the top post so we can all subject ourselves to a marathon of style.
It was the Lakai MJ shoe which was then rebranded as the Daly,
The first versions were really good, I had a couple pairs. Think it coincided with Lakai switching factories and the quality dropped.
Pretty sure they had just taken pre orders from shops for the latest seasons colourways and the adidas announcement fell in the middle of it which caused Mike/Lakai to panic about shops cancelling orders rather than wait until the orders had shipped. Lose/lose when you put it that way and intentionally plan to load shops up with duff stock. ![]()
according to the infamous Jenkem interview.
I’m guessing many people will be saying this now, but I’ve often rewatched that part, I’ll watch almost all of his old and more intense parts in the coming days I’m sure but I’m more likely to back to that one in future.
It was nice to see this photo yesterday, as I remember the coverage the event received very well:
I liked that line with the kickflip noseslide, he was taking the piss a bit but it was all part of it. The song sticks in your head as well.
I feel like Marc loved a good wooden block with the angle iron edge. In nearly all his parts he does a trick on a 90’s skatepark perma obstscle.
Same here, up there in my top three Stones tunes, but I only recently discovered the ‘12" Special Disco Version’, which isn’t a remix but is just a longer edit with loads more of that funky Bill Wyman (yeah I know) bass and a bit more Keef too. You’ve probably known about it for ages, I just happened to get the 12" the other week
Sorry for tangent in what should be a strictly MJ thread
There is literally no reason for his first line in Man Down, flip up on to the path, pushes around the tree and drops off the path, other than he wanted to do it, which is why it is rad and just some how works.