Middle Aged Shed

Apologies for the washing in shot! Finally where we want the garden to be after 3ish years work. Stoked on the veg/fruit patch (behind the washing) and the herbs, poppies, etc. Just got the shed all sorted with a proper door, rendered and roof.
The lawn was such a mission, it was like the surface of the moon, needed completely digging up and levelling and re-seeding.

OH, and the fences were all done by us using old pallets.

4 Likes

Front garden.

Caveman down the rail as a start to your journey to work each morning?

5 Likes

Switch for me, or ride on bs 5050 over the steps

1 Like

Garden at wife’s summer house in Saaremaa. I hate gardening.

3 Likes

First picture is the tree stump I’m turning into a slide for my two daughters. The tree actually got cut down for free by Western Power because there’s pylon wires over the garden and the tree was close to touching it. We used some of the logs to make the edge of the compost heap (can be seen in the background) and also some climbing/stepping logs for the kids.

Second picture is my first ever attempt at growing potatoes. Didn’t cost me anything. Used an old washing basket with broken handles, drilled loads of holes in the bottom. Used compost from last year’s grass and bush cuttings. ‘Hilled’ them up twice. Grown the potatoes from supermarket potatoes that started to sprout. I’ve heard that sprouting supermarket potatoes don’t always grow properly, so we’ll see how well they turn out. I’m not too bothered considering they cost me nothing except a bit of time and effort.

P.S I’m glad I’ve got people to talk to about my gardening. My girlfriend thinks I’m having an ‘early midlife crisis’ because of my recent attempt to get back into skating and now my gardening. I’m only 29.

1 Like

I grew potatoes and carrots… oh, and onions in a patch that we cleared in the lawn.
They all grew fine.
Same deal too with pots and onions, just buried some “going on a bit” suoermarket bought ones.
Carrots, I used seeds.

1 Like

I’ve got this plant extending some, presumably, eventual flowers.
Never seen them open but after taking care of the plant, it’s been looking much healthier.
Not seen it flower before and keenly await what they open up to be like.

Top tip.
Don’t be lazy, if you see parts of a plant or bush are brown and decaying, get them off of there.
To me it seems as though all the nutrients that are required to keep a plant alive get shared out everywhere.
Removing the dead bits means that the fresh parts end up getting that bit extra food.
That’s in my experience anyway, having had this garden over the last 3 yrs.
And never have vines.
If you spot any sign of them, maybe even creeping through a neighbours fence, get rid.
It strangles everything it can reach, and it has quite an ability to spread.

1 Like

Pretty sure thats an agapanthus. They’re really nice when it flowers.

Only just got around to signing up to the new forum and my first post is about gardening.

Anyway, anyone want to finish cutting the hedge around my garden? I’m over it.

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen parts of the potato plant starting to yellow/brown and wilt away. Did a bit of reading online and some people have said when the leaves start to die back it’s time to get the potatoes out (if the plants don’t flower first). On the other hand, the rest of the leaves seem to be fine. Think I might clip the dead leaves and leave the rest for a bit.

Decided to tip the spuds out and see what’s what. Turned out alright for a first attempt. In hindsight I probably packed too many plants into such a small container. Next time I’ll probably space them out in a larger tub/container/dustbin/whatever, and leave them a bit longer before tipping them out.

Happy Sunday people

2 Likes

Nice!!!

That’s a lovely spot

Cut out a load of crap last night will report back with photos later.

Yay, rain.
Saves me a job tomorrow.

1 Like

It started raining just as i was finishing that job yesterday.

(Assuming you mean cutting grass)

Watering everything was the job I didn’t need to do thanks to the rain.

1 Like

Lawn needs work.

2 Likes

My garden after I cut and watered the grass yesterday with a fucked back. I have become a proper lawn nerd this year

1 Like