Music thread

I was well into all the UK stuff around that time too.
DJ Supreme has made a couple of decent return tracks, most notably the RIP tunes with a good combination of MC’s.

Speaking of De La Soul, this band were sampled by them and many others.
Full album is great and harbours loads of sample material.

2 Likes

Speaking of De La Soul, I’m selling all my records and just sold a copy of 3ft High for £85. Stoked.

1 Like

Seeing Shaun Martin at Jazz Cafe tonight. I’m so excited, he’s honestly one of my favourite musicians ever. Groove in the middle of this is so sick.

The solo at the end of this gives me goosebumps every time. So joyful.

And something a bit more traditional. Plus great bass solo.

1 Like

yes mate!
Me and Mush went to see snarky puppy a few years ago, was rad.
Sean is kinda in Cory’s shadow sometimes which is unfair. I love his face when Cory goes off in lingus.
This stuff is very hit and miss though with me, sometimes the flavour is just a bit too clean and cliche and all they have is the incredible musicianship which means nothing if the song is not there. When the songs are there though, damn, it’s goosebumpin.

1 Like

Oh man, I would love to see them live. Especially around Ground Up and We Like it Here kind of time. The newer stuff hasn’t really done it for me for the same reasons. I think the newer stuff just isn’t as musical, despite all the amazing god level musicianship in the band.

I missed Corey Henry last month, he played at Ronnie Scott’s but it sold out so fast, was gutted.

Shouts to Larnell Lewis on drums too. This blows my mind every time. And the girls face when he gets tech cracks me up.

Snarky played mostly stuff from the We Like it Here set.
It might even have been the We Like it Here set.
Twas bloody great though.

And it was Larnell doing his drum thang. Stunning.

Oh yeah!

It was just after We like it here. Have you seen the DVD for we like it here? it tells the story of the album and the fact they were flying to Denmark or wherever (can’t remember) to record the album and they had no music just a handful of little riffs Micheal had. He wrote loads of it on the plane journey and the band jammed it and turned it into what it is in a few days. It was still loose as on the DVD there are 4 versions of most of the tracks and they chose the best to go on the album. Sput, their usual drummer couldn’t make it last minute so they called Larnell a couple of days into the jams. He arrived the morning the recording was booked and had a couple of hours to play them through then they hit record. Whether you like the music or not, this is utterly mindblowing. And yeah, that girls stank face when Larnell goes off in outlier is just rude as fuck, you can tell she’s wanting a piece of him ha.

Fuck man I’m so jealous, I’d have killed to see that.

Next time any of these guys are over we should all go. If you’re who I think you are flambe, we’ve been to gigs before :wink:

Absolutely!

I’m seeing the Cinematic Orchestra tonight in Brum. Should be nice.

I just got to jazz cafe early and I’m stood about 80cm from the Moog. So buzzing

Been enjoying this.

That guy again…

New Lena Raine album is wicked

Sooo… Record Store Day this Saturday. Are you hyped or do you think it’s a crock of shit?

Jagger probably hyped.

Doubt it.

It’s an absolute crock of shit. The first couple were alright, when it was a tiny amount of records people actually wanted.

1 Like

Using the word store instead of shop always puts me off for starters.

It’s “Day” that gets me. Like it’s the one day you can buy records. Except you could have got most of the ones you don’t have on Discogs for much less and you probably own the good ones anyway. But that’s not hashtaggable is it? Not as Instagrammable.

2 Likes

#vynil

…and not as eBayable either

1 Like