Music thread

Looked into that once too. The question is if you want to insure the collection or insure individual records. Some insurance companies only do one or the other.

Anybody buying a new album on vinyl because it sounds ‘fuller’ better be listening to it on state of the art equipment in a studio, because that’s the only place you’ll notice a difference. Sticking a Rumours reissue through your Richer Sounds amp and speakers probably won’t demonstrate much difference.

Albums like Rumours only got trendy again because the stuffy old labels still own th erights to those albums on vinyl, so you better believe they’re getting the ‘deluxe, numbered limited-edition treatment’. More money in some trendy 20 year old buying some old crap from Urban Outfitters than them streaming it and spending their money seeing music live or buying something independent. Not that I care because I don’t go out to shows or buy records but it’s weird seeing people so swept up in it.

When the bubble bursts there’s going to be a lot of people with pointless overpriced records taking up valuable shelf space in a lot of little flats. All this ‘wholesome’ unrecycled, unrecyclable black polyvinyl chloride sitting around pointlessly.

I mean, who needs a Radioactive Man best-of anyway, and even if you do (and don’t already own the main stuff) if £55.99 a good way to spend your music-buying budget?

3 Likes

This article made me think a bit too: Nightmares on wax: the environmental impact of the vinyl revival | Vinyl | The Guardian

(I say ‘made me think’, but that’s all it did really)

SMAK maybe? Used to deal with those guys loads at my old job, when they did Baked Goods distro too.

Yeah, I don’t think that the miniscule amount of records that get sold really compares with an Indian or Chinese factory’s outpurings.

2 Likes

Saw a sticker that said “Stream and Save Plastic” in London last week. Pretty sure it was from a Vinyl shop I’ve seen online.

My friend had his whole collection he started in the 80’s wiped out in the floods the other year. Insurance company basically laughed at paying out for vinyl. He now keeps everything in the loft and plays Vinyl decks that are linked to his laptop or something, so he’s playing vinyl but it’s digital music.

I am pro streaming, but I also miss the Album concept and art work that goes with it. Same with Skate VHS with the chunky box art

That rings a bell… possibly, yeah.
I do remember it was called “Oil Come All Ye Industrial, Joyful and Triumphant”. I think.

Dealt with a few insurance companies in my old job in fact, and I remember the general payout for a ‘record collection’ was the cheapest that it could be bought for on CD. So one dude who lost all his records when a storage container went on fire ended up with about £200 store credit, because the only stuff that he’d listed that was available on CD added up to about that. If you’ve not got stuff listed they’ll probably assume you have twenty CDs or something.

Nah, I do my record shopping in Argos.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8868093?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixilatmwx&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59130|acid:289-152-2757|cid:265006737|agid:14507206137|tid:pla-18283950120|crid:73382240337|nw:g|rnd:10742435925440994243|dvc:c|adp:1o2|mt:|loc:1007392&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=265006737&utm_term=&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=14507206137&utm_custom2=289-152-2757&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_MjUjZ_H5wIVCLrtCh1CPwudEAQYAiABEgKpIfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

3 Likes

such a sick idea! I’ve heard similar with art being left in shops like that too

Daivd Byrne wrote a thing about how we’re all really into that part of it, and it’s great, but actually it’s only a relatively new thing - before ‘teenagers’ were invented, records didn’t have covers, they all came in generic HMV sleeves or whatever. We just happened to be around at the right time for records to be a cool thing. That has now passed.

(Too many conversations at once here. I’m supposed to be at work)

1 Like

Found it. £50 now apparently! (yada yada discogs highest etc yada)

Ah, nice. V/VM is Leyland Kirby.

1 Like

It’s always that time…

1 Like

Oh rad, didn’t know that! I’m vaguely aware of his Caretaker stuff.

LOL, those olden-days people listening to records for the music, like a bunch of idiots. Everybody knows it’s about the imagery, the feel, the smell, the liner notes and THEN the music.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure he said they tried to fob him off with stuff like that and they couldn’t verify things and CD pricing etc . I know he did get a settlement but it was fuck all in the end. He did manage to save loads of vinyl itself but the sleeves and stuff were destroyed. He was into getting them signed too which bummed him out.

Now keeps them in the loft and puts them onto his laptop to DJ with one of those digital vinyl set ups

I actually like CDs though, it’s enough “quality” for my damaged ears and just lately I have been buying CD’s from music magpie on ebay. I hate to think what shitty price they gave the poor sods that sold them, but surprisingly I have bought discographies of bands that I wouldn’t normally buy because it’s a lot of money for something I may not listen to alot so paying a few quid makes sense and of course I rip to work puter too. I’ll only buy vinyl if it’s something I really want, an album etc that I’ll listen to in full.

One thing I always thought was rad… Cardiel wanted that Sizzla track for his Transworld part but was’t getting anywhere with his management, so just went to a show and asked him and got an agreement he could use it.

4 Likes

Didn’t stop Trax Records making a name for themselves in the 80s for repressing onto old dead stock.

OK Eli.

3 Likes