Posting last tricks from video parts. Cool or not?

I remember that. Tbf it was like the day after the video was posted and they re-edited it with different music. Kinda weird doing that. If I’d filmed the second angle of the last trick of somebody’s part I’d be waiting a good while before posting the raw clip.

This is the most important thing.

What’s the ideal time to leave it do you think? Couple of weeks?

I guess a lot of the time you see what ends up being the ender but you didn’t know, but you wanted to watch the whole thing because it looked cool. It’s not like getting the football results early or anything.

2 Likes

Second this. A picture is totally different from the footage of the same trick. If it were just a screen capture of the footage it’d be a different ballgame, but the way a pic is composed is always different. Different perspective, lighting effects/colour palette and framing make it, in my eyes, almost an entirely different entity.

I don’t think this is a fair comparison though. When you are in the shop the cover is what you makes you pick the mag up. That’s the point of the cover. Seeing the cover on insta doesn’t spoil the magazine as a whole.

1 Like

I would compare it to getting the football results early haha!

That’s what I’m saying; seeing an ender doesn’t spoil the entire rest of the video. Nobody’s buying a video for an ender, and Jimmy Radballz doing some long-lensed, doubled-kinked, homie-hyping handrail certainly doesn’t stop me watching the video.

There are so many companies and crews I’d never know about if it wasn’t for you stocking their shit or for people posting those enders, but if the ender is THAT good that people are actually announcing that it’s the ender, then the video is probably amazing throughout. I think if the thing’s for sale, or on Thrasher, the whole thing is worth seeing. If it’s a shoe company introduction, then probably less so, because it’s probably been done quickly with the only existing footage of him or her in those shoes.

None specific shoe company reference btw.

I remember the Oskar Rozenberg - Alley-Oop Noseblunt being the first real one where I felt they let the cat out if the way to soon. Also Magee was right, that clip of Blondey and the taxi felt so last year by the time the video dropped.

‘You have to get the video and see so and so’s last trick, it’s nuts!’ Surely if companies are going to release a full length they want people to be seeing it all for the first time, with fresh stoked eyes. Not over the highlight reel before it’s even been shown.
It’s like people, companies can’t sit on anything anymore.

I was so hyped for that video and then it turned out that was the only clip of anybody getting hit by a taxi in it, so it wasn’t even spoiled. There was loads of great skateboarding in it too.

1 Like

Kinda applies to Oski too, that trick wasn’t exactly in the context of the rest of the part so there’s no way you’d see that and think you’d seen it all.

My argument is that a part (almost always) builds to the last trick. So when anticipation is building and then you realise you’ve already seen the final trick I think it does spoil the part, and I think it does spoil the video if it’s the last trick in the final part of the video. Same goes for posting last parts to announce a video. I understand that people want to encourage buy/watch the project they have put so much time, effort, and normally money into, I just think it’s a shame that that has to be to the detriment of the experience of watching the part/video all the way through for the first time.

As does a full length build to the last part.

Thing is - I don’t know if doing that even makes sense any more.
Shane O’Neill talks a lot of sense about this in his Nine Club interview - about how sitting on footage is, (in the main at least) pretty much futile these days - at least in terms of brands trying to sell stuff to the biggest demographic, which is kids raised on Instagram.

The other side to Shane O’N’s point about sitting on footage is that it often fucks over those flow kids who get their footage taken hostage by their ‘sponsor’ who then do fuck all with it, leaving said kids in flow purgatory.
I’d recommend listening to his 9 Club to those who haven’t - he is very on the ball with today’s skateboarding industry/culture etc.

And, there seems to be a trend of putting together people’s insta clips into YouTube videos, so I can see that as a natural progression of the video part.

Remember when Jason Hernandez and Roger Bagley talked about wanting to upload the clips they’d filmed online the same day as filming them? Then after a month or so editing those raw clips into a ‘product’ and also allowing other people to edit these clips.

Sounds like a fucking horrible idea to me. They both talked about it like it was this amazing idea but obviously neither of them have had to balls to do it yet…

I get that you have to go with the times and keep generating the 1.21 gigawatts of likes, that power the hype machine, in a tsunami of shite that is consistently flowing on social media.
Just put it all out on Instagram then, easy. Don’t put your best bit out then expect me to sit through the rest of your tricks that aren’t good enough alone to be an insta clip, three months later. As that’s what your basically saying too me, If thats the way it is.

Release clips, off cuts, etc to get people hyped.
Release the video now you have got people’s interest.
Start dropping the best clips from the video too keep the hype going longer.

Not.

Show everyone ya wears, then expect them to pay for it.

Also you once you’re that company that just gives everything away, everyone will always expect it for free, no-one wants to pay for shit off you anymore and get internet morally outraged if you dare try.

1 Like

knowing how a film ends doesn’t stop the rest of the story being enjoyable either, but it sure puts a damper on the experience

Isn’t it fairly easy to exercise some self control and if you know it’s from a forthcoming vid, choose whether to see it or not?

It’s hard a ‘twist’ in a skate part, though.