Retro skating

Insta informs me that it has a new distro in the UK at least and has London heads with connections involved.
Always wanted a pair of the white DV8s because Curtis used to wear them but they’d no doubt be stinking

I feel like Volcom got bought by the group who owns Vision a couple of years ago.

I’d need to search, but I think this is true.

Random as fuck.

Also, at the start of the year, I just moved into an office space with two friends.
Turns out, we are a few doors down from the Revive UK office.
Mad.
Off the back of that, I found out that there is a UK Braille office, near London Fields.
Also, mad.

3 Likes

I saw a photo of Karl Drogo wearing those recently, was tempted to put it in the fashion police thread.

1 Like

ABG - Authentic Brands Group (Fuck, thats a bad name!)

Owns Volcom, Nautica, Airwalk and Vision Streetwear amongst other brands.

1 Like

They’re like a KwikSave VF Corp.

Braille and Revive in the UK. Urgh.

https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/toys/action-figures-and-playsets/braille-skateboarding/braille-skateboarding-mini-skateboard-collectible-2-pack-–-series-2-assortment/p/196791

I thought I’d share this. Not exactly retro but from the skaters over 50 group of which I’m a member. WTF

1 Like

Eric seems to be building a skateboard from memory, having only seen it once, while on mushrooms in the late 90s.

21 Likes

Or something you’d find on a spacecraft after being abducted by aliens and they try to make you feel at ease by putting you in a room with some ‘human’ stuff they’ve had a go at making.

7 Likes

This thread is hurting my eyes and giving me anxiety. I can feel my eczema flaring up.

Official warning: if I ever hear anyone referring to their latest ‘build’ they will get banned with no warning. Don’t be that guy.

9 Likes

Nothing wrong with grabbing a bit of nostalgia of an era you were in and remember fondly but people can take it to weird places, I went into a rabbit hole on FB groups trying to find some of my memories but man, it’s a strange world and things are so rare that it was futile so resigned it all to history.

I’ve got a load of old decks, I love them. I don’t set up boards from the past to ride but I can see how it would be fun. The Airfix kit aspect where skateboards are built as models and not to ride is a bit weird to me though.

“authentic”

1 Like

what the fuck

3 Likes

Best polish up my cv.

3 Likes

A guy I know has got loads of the wooden bits for a full build.

I presume the bags seal in the freshness.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love old boards, I have 20-30 NOS PP/SC boards bagged up in the loft which really should be displayed.

Sort of wish I’d kept mine but they were skated until there was about 4” of tail left!

I’m a big fan of seeing old / skated decks restored - re-screened graphics, etc.
There are a couple of accounts I follow on Insta that do an excellent job of it.

I had a go myself with stencils and paint (rather than screen) on an old deck of mine but it didn’t quite work as well as I’d hoped. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

I think there’s a difference between being a current skater who also likes restoring classic boards, and a 1980s cosplayer for whom the whole point of skating is to recreate your lost youth like the past 30-odd years haven’t happened.

2 Likes

I’m not sure, for example, why you’d want wheels like this